Author Topic: Suggestions for avast! (not a debate forum)  (Read 30729 times)

techie101

Re:Suggestions for avast! (not a debate forum)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2003, 01:23:22 AM »
Installation

1. Turn back the feature Repair at Windows Installer (not only change the avast! components).
I do not understand exactly what you mean by "turn back"?

2. A possibility to configure what modules must be installed (which providers, for instance: standard shield, Script Blocker, Outlook, Internet provider, P2P, etc.
This is not an especially bad idea, but why would you want to cut your protection short?  If the provider is not present, then Avast will not run the service.

3. At the first use (after the boot), the installation could call the Mail Protection Wizard automatically (if other provider than MS Outlook/Exchange was installed).

I agree with this suggestion.  Many new users do not configure the email protection correctly (or not at all) because they do not use the MPW.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 02:18:51 AM by techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 01:28:58 AM »
avast4.ini

1. It´s absolutely necessary a GUI interface for avast4.ini configuration.
YES.... The interface was configured for reliability and a modicum of speed at the cost of some memory usage.  More than a fair trade don't you think!

4. A configurable key VirusMessage into [UserInterface] section.

Ah...it would be just another bell and whistle.  I don't see the need for it.  The more you allow users to configure things, the more complex a program becomes and the more chance to mess it up! hahaha
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 02:17:17 AM by techie101 »

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2003, 09:16:57 AM »
Regarding HE modifications , I agree on all what you suggested..   ;D ;D
Kindly check " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Avast4"
What does this file do "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.mdb" ?  ???
MW

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2003, 01:31:02 PM »
Technical, quite an informative post, indeed. I've read all your suggestions. Some of them have atually already been worked into the program (or at least are scheduled to be), some of them are excellent and will probably be included, and some of them, umm, are not-so great but never mind ;).
Anyway, thanks, we need this sort of feedback. ;D

As someone already suggested the WISHLIST topic is already too bloated and needs some work from my part. I'm planning to do this soon and will also move your suggestions from this thread there.

FYI you're talking about a BIG NEED for GUI editing of avast4.ini - but what do you think the Settings page in avast really does? Yes most of the settings (these that are not user-specific) are stored in the INI file... So in short, when designing what should be on the settings page and what's not so important, we've made a decision. Most common stuff is there. Specialities are not. But you might have noticed that important stuff like UseRAS and AssumeAlwaysConnected were actually added there in version 4.1...

And one more thing - the Repair feature is still there, but to access it, you need to first select Change. So select Change, click Next and you'll be given the chance to do the repair...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2003, 02:18:32 PM »
Technical, quite an informative post, indeed. I've read all your suggestions. Some of them have atually already been worked into the program (or at least are scheduled to be), some of them are excellent and will probably be included, and some of them, umm, are not-so great but never mind ;).
Anyway, thanks, we need this sort of feedback. ;D

avast! is an excellent product that earns this kind of feedback  ;)

As someone already suggested the WISHLIST topic is already too bloated and needs some work from my part. I'm planning to do this soon and will also move your suggestions from this thread there.

I´ll make a search on the wishlist and thought about.

FYI you're talking about a BIG NEED for GUI editing of avast4.ini - but what do you think the Settings page in avast really does? Yes most of the settings (these that are not user-specific) are stored in the INI file... So in short, when designing what should be on the settings page and what's not so important, we've made a decision. Most common stuff is there. Specialities are not. But you might have noticed that important stuff like UseRAS and AssumeAlwaysConnected were actually added there in version 4.1...

Ok, I agree. Maybe a GUI for the specialities  ;D
I mean, foruns are plenty with questions regarding to avast4.ini and a GUI with "everything" could be a solution...

And one more thing - the Repair feature is still there, but to access it, you need to first select Change. So select Change, click Next and you'll be given the chance to do the repair...

I´m not so sure it works like the repair, detecting correctly the prior installation. But I´ll try. Thanks a lot.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 04:54:16 PM »
I mean, foruns are plenty with questions regarding to avast4.ini and a GUI with "everything" could be a solution...

It's because people love secrets and undocumented stuff. Even if it was completely useless. I'm no exception - in fact, not-so-long-time-ago me myself was obsessed with digging into the OS and searching for undocumented features. It can be exciting but most of the time you will eventually end up with some useless junk and realize there are better things to do ;D

Take the Easter Eggs, for example. People love them! Which leads to my next question: Has anyone found any Eastern Eggs in avast 4.x?  :)

I´m not so sure it works like the repair, detecting correctly the prior installation. But I´ll try.

Yes, yes, there is actually the option called "Repair" that behaves the same way as Repair in avast 4.0.

Vlk

mantra

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2003, 06:47:56 PM »
UMM
MY ADVISES ARE NOT WELCOME >:( >:(

BUT I DON'T CARE

BYE ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2003, 06:58:50 PM »
Take it ez mantra, your advise are indeed welcome. This is an open forum, with freedom of speach so everyone is welcome is express his/her oppinions/suggestions.

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2003, 08:03:43 PM »
UMM
MY ADVISES ARE NOT WELCOME >:( >:(
BUT I DON'T CARE
BYE ;D

I didn´t understand? This was for me?  ???
I think like Vlk, what´s wrong mantra?  ::)

mantra

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2003, 11:13:35 AM »
Technical
nope is not for u.... ;D

Waldo

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2003, 11:40:44 AM »
Well, this thread sounds promising, if whe could atleast keep it on-topic.

The suggestions I saw where also in my mind already (most of them though :))

Like said before > the wishlist is bloated (just like Norton AV, lol)...

If i come up, with some decent suggestions  myself, i will post them here for sure.

The main problem is, Avast new build has already been improved alot. So finding major "flaws" or "missing features" is getting harder each day  ;)

I really like the stuff Technical said, he sure has his shit together.

Btw : Mantra > easy up man, your post all always aprreciated here.  (alteast i do)

Waldo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2003, 03:20:03 PM »
Technical
nope is not for u.... ;D

Thanks!  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2003, 03:23:09 PM »
Well, this thread sounds promising, if whe could at least keep it on-topic.
The suggestions I saw where also in my mind already (most of them though :))
Like said before > the wishlist is bloated (just like Norton AV, lol)...
If i come up, with some decent suggestions  myself, i will post them here for sure.
The main problem is, Avast new build has already been improved alot. So finding major "flaws" or "missing features" is getting harder each day  ;)
Waldo

Thanks Waldo. I´ll edit some earlier posts with new suggestions and answers from Alwil Software... Keep connected  ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2003, 04:41:14 AM »
I'M INSULTED!  EVERYTHING U GUYS TALK ABOUT IS WAY OVER MY HEAD.  WHAT ABOUT MY IDEA FOR A BOUNCING AVAST BALL ICON?  DID THAT GET TAKEN SERIOUSLY?  I DON'T THINK SO! >:(

Culpeper

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2003, 04:41:38 AM »
................ :-[