Author Topic: Who's marking my email as SPAM?  (Read 8492 times)

Offline mytimbuk2

Who's marking my email as SPAM?
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:23:33 AM »
I've searched down under to try and figure out what program or entity is marking my incoming mail subject line as SPAM.  Is it Avast?  How can I turn that off?
Thanks

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Who's marking my email as SPAM?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
Which Avast version do you use (Free/Pro/AIS/Premier)?

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
Also what is your email program ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mytimbuk2

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:42:10 AM »
Never got a notice of this post.  I use Thunderbird, always latest version. I was using Free Avast, but am currently using a trial period of the full version, but I believe it started marking email subject lines ***SPAM*** before I switched to the Pro Version Suite. 8.0.1489

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
If you are using the trial version of the Avast Internet Security/Pro version then it is the anti-spam module and that isn't present in the free version. If you still have the Pro trial, you should be able to mark the email as clean not spam, assuming that it isn't spam.

So it shouldn't have been the case, it can mark emails as *** VIRUS *** or *** SUSPICIOUS ***
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mytimbuk2

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
I'm currently using Version 2014.9.0.2008 and my incoming email using Thunderbird is being marked as SPAM. Is Avast doing this?  I want to stop it. I don't believe Thunderbird has the capability to do that.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
I'm currently using Version 2014.9.0.2008    
That is the build number ..... does not tell us what version .... you will see that on top of the gui when opening avast

Offline benj3

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
Hi!

I see that this topic is inactive but I also see that there is no resolution.

I am having the exact same problem and I have checked everything else. It seems like Avast is the only possible thing that could be marking my a email as ***SPAM*** because neither my email provider or my computer has any spam program, other than SpamFighter, which simply moved the e-mail to a Spam folder but does not mark anything..

I do have a program installed called SpamFighter which uses a community of readers to mark a message is spam. It does not use any algorithm to falsely mark a message is being spam and is a very reliable program but they say that the program marking the messages as as SPAM is interfering with it.

I sent an email to AVAST but they have not replied.

I simply need to know how to turn that part of the program off.

I am using the paid version of Avast Internet security 2015; 2015.10.0.2208

ANY help would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Ben

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
There was a resolution as the Original Poster (OP) only asked:
Quote from: mytimbuk2
what program or entity is marking my incoming mail subject line as SPAM.  Is it Avast?  How can I turn that off?

So those questions were answered, certainly as far as we could with the limited information given by the OP.

The problem with regenerating old topics is the program version will have changed a lot over a year. But the spam marking as mentioned is only in the paid versions of avast.

You also don't say what email program you use (MS Outlook used to use an avast plugin so anti spam measures were embedded into Outlook)  as that may change where it is assessed ?

Since I use avast free, I don't have the anti-spam module, so can't speak from personal experience - but the settings for it are probably bound up in the AvastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail Shield > Customize options.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
Any chance it's your ISP?  Depending on what they use for filtering, they might simply "bounce" suspected spam back to the sender, (most commonly) quarantine it, or deliver it normally with some kind of notation added to the subject-line or, in rare cases, at the beginning of the contents.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:28:02 AM »
Any chance it's your ISP?  Depending on what they use for filtering, they might simply "bounce" suspected spam back to the sender, (most commonly) quarantine it, or deliver it normally with some kind of notation added to the subject-line or, in rare cases, at the beginning of the contents.

They might well bounce spam back but I rather doubt they would brand the subject - the ***SPAM*** and ***VIRUS*** branding are typically related to avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 06:23:16 AM »
I've been curious about a way to remove [Possible Spam] from e-mail subject headers as well. I've been using the free Avast for awhile now (up to current version) and my e-mail client is Thunderbird. It's not *that* big a deal, and the only time it's an issue is due to me forgetting to delete that part of the subject line when replying to an e-mail, but if I could just discontinue that particular option, it would save a little embarrassment every now and then. :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »
Not knowing what avast version you are using (free/pro/AIS/Premier) hampers us a bit as the Free version doesn't have an anti-spam function ?

If the entry is [Possible Spam] then that isn't avast as the marking is *** VIRUS *** for a virus detected. I also have Thunderbird, but I don't get any spam as I use MailWasher to filter my email before I download the rest. Unfortunately I haven't seen any instance of this.

That is all I see in the avast free version Mail Shield Settings

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:18 AM »
I also use Thunderbird, and Avast Free 2015.10.2.2215. I get [SUSPECTED SPAM] inserted into the subject line of occasional emails, have done for ages. However of several different email accounts, it happens only with email arriving via my ISP's email server. I think it's fair to conclude it's being done by my ISP's spam filters.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
Dammit, my ISP was the only thing I didn't investigate, and it looks like you're correct. Sorry about adding to the noise!