Author Topic: A strange twist on a known problem  (Read 46576 times)

PCdreamer

A strange twist on a known problem
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
I'm using Avast version 4.6.652
I'm using 0517-0

I'm using Windows XP Professional with SP1. I had
problems with SP2 so I'm sticking with this for now.

If you really need my hardware, I can figure up the
list, but the problem seems software related.  After
having quite a bit of connection troubles recently, I
updated the software last week. It asked me to reboot,
and when it was done, it notified me of an
incompatibility with ZoneAlarm Firewall. It said it
shut down whatever was causing the problem. After
this, my problems with my connection seemed gone.  I
have DSL connected through a gateway, my computer has
a network card that connects to that.  What was
happening is that I'd be connected as far as my
computer was concerned, but I couldn't access anything
on the internet. After the update disabled the
incompatible piece of software, this seemed to
disappear. It wasn't an instantaneous problem either.
It built up over time. At first it took days of usage,
perhaps a week or more, before I'd have a problem.
Then it got to where it only took hours.  I thought
the problem was solved, but last night it came back
again. I had rebooted only a few hours before. It
seems the more I use the internet, the quicker the
problem builds up. Then I just can't access anything,
though my connection is shown as still there.  I even
shut down Avast, but that didn't help. I'm not sure
what the problem is.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I realize the Zone Alarm problem is known, but what am I to do? I have the free version of Zone Alarm, btw. I don't know exactly what to disable or where in either program. I know web shield is still active in Avast. I guess it just shut down the transparent proxy part of itself in the latest version?  Please do advise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A strange twist on a known problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »
I even shut down Avast, but that didn't help. I'm not sure what the problem is.
You can make tests disabling: ZoneAlarm and WebShild of avast!
You should check your Internet settings and your proxy settings in each case.
Booting and cleaning DNS and Internet cache will help too.
Can you connect and browse after that?

I know you have already though about but, maybe SP2 won't harm you that much  :)
The best things in life are free.

PCdreamer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:37:51 PM »
Well, the time I shut down all of Avast's functions, as it hopefully does if you right click on the system tray icon and tell it to, it didn't help. I guess I could try shutting down Zone Alarm next time though.

How do you check your proxy settings? I didn't know I'd set any. I'm fairly novice when it comes to such things.

Where do you go to boot your DNS cache? I booted my internet cache in IE last week. That didn't seem to make a difference.

SP2 on my first attempt failed to finish installing and corrupted Windows. After ghosting from a backup, said which backup is highly outdated now, I tried again.  I got blue screens and after crashes some programs had problems. So I can't trust it at this time. Maybe in the future. I know I'd updated my video card drivers as well, so that may have been the problem, or a combination of the two. Either way, one problem at a time. I want to solve this connection issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:56:38 PM »
I guess I could try shutting down Zone Alarm next time though.
Yes, please, test it.

How do you check your proxy settings? I didn't know I'd set any. I'm fairly novice when it comes to such things.
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Where do you go to boot your DNS cache?
Open a DOS (cmd) window and run:
C:\Windows\system32\ipconfig.exe /flushdns

I booted my internet cache in IE last week. That didn't seem to make a difference.
To delete the temporary Internet files go to Internet explorer >Tools > Internet options > Delete files > Click delete all offline content (just to be sure) > click ok.

PCdreamer

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:18:51 PM »
Until the problem happens again I can't test by shutting down Zone Alarm. Not that that would be a great thing anyway, having to shut down my firewall to use the internet, but at least it would give me an idea of what was happening. I've okayed all of Avast, that I could tell, to access the net in ZA. I did that a while ago. I usually leave it so ZA asks to allow programs to act as a server, but I okayed that.

I use Firefox. I should have mentioned that. I did flush the dns cache as you directed.  Since this problem occurred after I deleted the Firefox cache, I'm not sure if it's related. I actually had a problem last week where I had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. I don't believe I'm connected via a proxy, no. I have my NIC connected to a gateway system our cable provider has. Well, it's a DSL line that we get both our TV and internet from. Digital TV and DSL. The gateway has a DSL modem in it. The connection between my computer and the gateway is considered an LAN. Then the gateway connects to the internet.  I'm not sure how proxies work and/or if this would be anything close.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 11:37:50 PM »
the same thing happened 2 me,the connection icon in system tray said i was connected but i could not log on using mozilla thunderbird mail or access anything on the internet,i uninstalled zone alarm and that was the problem,but being that i like zone alarm(easy)i installed it again and set the internet security zone to medium(default high)and since then i have had no problems getting disconnected or browsing the web.bri

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 11:39:01 PM »
o ya,i connect by dsl-windows xp pro sp2

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:47:08 PM »
PCdreamer, would it be so difficult to you to configure your computer as an static IP and not a dynamic one?
I have a DSL and a router, the gateway, the modem and the LAN exactly you have.
I disable the dynamic IP address from Windows and configure all as static... No problems at all.
This solved a lot of my 'connections' troubles in the past...

PCdreamer

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 11:49:48 PM »
My ISP charges an extra $10 a month, I believe it is, to have a static IP address. Otherwise you're stuck with a dynamic one.

I have XIT if you're wondering. It's a local company. You can visit their site at www.xit.net

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:25:42 AM »
My ISP charges an extra $10 a month, I believe it is, to have a static IP address. Otherwise you're stuck with a dynamic one.
I'm not talking about your 'external' IP but your internal one, the one of your computer into your LAN.
This number is completely different from the external one from your ISP.
Click on the network icon on the Control Panel and see that you can configure the IP of your local machine.

PCdreamer

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »
Is there anything specific you should set it as? I think I did this once before with an old Win 98 machine, but it's been so long that I can't remember how to go about it. My knowledge of networks is very limited.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 04:08:36 AM »
Start Menu > Control Panel > Network Conections
Choose your LAN network
On the window that pop-up, click on Properties
On the window that pop-up, chose on TCP/IP Protocol and click on Properties

Write:
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gatway: 192.168.0.254
DNS (write your ISP DNS primary and secondary)

On the Modem properties (depends on your model) you must configure it is the 192.168.0.254 (gateway).

If something get wrong, you can return to the automatic detection of IP and booting...

PCdreamer

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 04:20:55 AM »
How do I get my ISP DNS?  Also, how do I get to my modem properties.  I'm sorry to get so confused on you. I just don't want to mess thing sup.  You mention the Gateway IP. Does the gateway then register this as it's IP address, or how does this work?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 04:26:26 AM »
How do I get my ISP DNS?
Sorry, you must go to the webpage. Do you have its address?

Also, how do I get to my modem properties.
After you do that configuration I've posted before, open a new browser window and type
http://192.168.0.254/
This is the gateway address... maybe you get your DSL Modem connectins properties.
You don't have to change anything.
Most probably, if you do the first configuration, everything will work without changing modem configurations.
Try  :)

You mention the Gateway IP. Does the gateway then register this as it's IP address, or how does this work?
No, it's your internal IP again. The Internet (me, for instance) won't be able to see it.
All your computer (regardless the LAN, the router and any other internal IP your your network) will be a single and unique IP to external world.
This number will be give by your ISP, it's automatic and you cannot change it. This way, two computers never have the same external IP.

PCdreamer

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 05:19:38 AM »
I'm not sure what webpage.

Maybe I'll get my DSL Modem connection properties?  Okay, I won't change anything, even if I could get to something to change. lol
I hope it'll all work.  I'll probably wait until tomorrow, when I'm more awake, to mess with these things. Do you think this will resolve my problems with my connection? I know Avast and ZoneAlarm don't want to work right together, but then someone mentioned turning the security level of ZA down. Is that really safe?

Edit:
When you say modem configuration, do you mean network card?  I was just wondering since I don't have a modem. The only modem is the DSL modem built into the gateway, which has nothing to do with my computer.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 07:48:28 AM by PCdreamer »