Author Topic: A strange twist on a known problem  (Read 46579 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A strange twist on a known problem
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 02:51:15 PM »
Do you think this will resolve my problems with my connection? I know Avast and ZoneAlarm don't want to work right together, but then someone mentioned turning the security level of ZA down. Is that really safe?
avast and ZoneAlarm work fine together, specially, you will be able to connect.

When you say modem configuration, do you mean network card?  I was just wondering since I don't have a modem. The only modem is the DSL modem built into the gateway, which has nothing to do with my computer.
Sorry, you're right, my hardware English is not that bad.
Network connection and card as you use them to link your computer, your DSL and the Internet outside  8)
The best things in life are free.

PCdreamer

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 08:05:21 PM »
Well, I know Avast had that update that disabled part of the web scanner or whatnot so it would work with ZoneAlarm. I still seem to have problems, too.

I'm still not sure how to get my ISP DNS. You said to write is as primary and secondary. Sorry again for my confusion here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 03:50:57 AM »
I'm still not sure how to get my ISP DNS. You said to write is as primary and secondary. Sorry again for my confusion here.
If your email is pcdreamer@servername.com.uk you can ask your ISP (probably, www.servername.com.uk).
The DNS address should be informed by your ISP. It looks like a number, for instance, 201.174.2.14
You don't need the secondary. It will be useful. But you need the primary.
Which is your ISP?

PCdreamer

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 08:01:01 AM »
My ISP is XIT.net  They're a local company. I might have to call them to find out the exact number, just to be sure.  What's weird is my connection will sometimes last for days, and others it won't last but a few hours. I think I've got it fixed, and then nope.  It's not predictable. I still think it might be ZA and Avast, but then perhaps not. My ISP charges you if you have them come out to check things and they find nothing wrong on their end, but I might end up having to resort to that. I'll just hope these TCP settings will help. I'll try to impliment them as soon as I get all the relavent info. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »
My ISP is XIT.net  They're a local company.
Is it this one? http://www.xithome.net/
I can't find any information there, just THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTIO  :-\ :'(

PCdreamer

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 08:42:07 PM »
That's them, but I thought they had a site at www.xit.net  Strange.  I wonder if I'll have to call them and request the information.  Hopefully they'll understand what I'm doing.

Edit: Also, more specific information on my Network setup.

I've got a 1394 Net Adapter and then a Local Area Connection, underneath which it says the name of the Realtek integrated NIC I have.  Above, under the broadband heading, is my connection to XIT. I'm not quite sure which to add these settings to once I have them all. The LAN or the Net Adapter?  I checked the XIT connection above, and it doesn't have any DNS servers listed either. It has it set to autodetect.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:47:14 PM by PCdreamer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 08:45:46 PM »
That's them, but I thought they had a site at www.xit.net  Strange.  I wonder if I'll have to call them and request the information.  Hopefully they'll understand what I'm doing.
The address you've posted is redirected to mine...
There is no FAQ, no Help, ...
But, of course, they must have a primary DNS address as they are an ISP  8)

PCdreamer

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »
I'm reposting what I just put in via an edit above just in case you missed it. You replied too fast! lol  No, I'm not complaining.

I've got a 1394 Net Adapter and then a Local Area Connection, underneath which it says the name of the Realtek integrated NIC I have.  Above, under the broadband heading, is my connection to XIT. I'm not quite sure which to add these settings to once I have them all. The LAN or the Net Adapter?  I checked the XIT connection above, and it doesn't have any DNS servers listed either. It has it set to autodetect.

I still have to figure out what their DNS server is though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 08:57:40 PM »
I'm not quite sure which to add these settings to once I have them all. The LAN or the Net Adapter?
Start > Control Panel > Network connections (the LAN).

it doesn't have any DNS servers listed either. It has it set to autodetect.
Sure, it's autodetect but if we write the numbers there everything will be static and could work.
Can you send me an IM with your email address?
I can send you screenshots (sorry, they will be in portuguese)  ;)

PCdreamer

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 09:26:42 PM »
I talked to their tech support, and he didn't think changing these settings would make a difference. He said that the gateway defaults to an address for the computer. I didn't completely understand all he said, but he doubted it would make a difference and stated the connection might not work if you did this. I don't have a router, btw. I just connect my computer directly to the gateway. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 09:40:28 PM »
I talked to their tech support, and he didn't think changing these settings would make a difference.
We're trying to solve a problem that sometimes you have the connection. Sometimes not.

He said that the gateway defaults to an address for the computer.
Ok, you don't have to setup a gateway... let it blank.

But he doubted it would make a difference and stated the connection might not work if you did this.
Of course, if you set this wrong it won't connect.
But this is the easy answer. He does not want to lose his 'precious' time telling you what to do.
If you do something wrong, two mouse clicks and you return to dinamic IP and DNS, I mean, you return to the original configuration.
It won't mess your computer. But you must know the DNS for God!  :(

I don't have a router, btw. I just connect my computer directly to the gateway. I'm not sure if this makes a difference.
Do you plug the DSL modem directly to your computer, doesn't you?

PCdreamer

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 09:54:29 PM »
Ok, you don't have to setup a gateway... let it blank.
What he meant is the gateway box, the one that decodes the TV and has the DSL modem in it.  He said that they use Mac addresses or something like that and the IP of your computer doesn't really matter. Their box, or as they call it gateway, gets your internet IP address and such. Trying to explain what you said to him just resulted him in telling me the same.

Of course, if you set this wrong it won't connect.
But this is the easy answer. He does not want to lose his 'precious' time telling you what to do.
If you do something wrong, two mouse clicks and you return to dinamic IP and DNS, I mean, you return to the original configuration.
It won't mess your computer. But you must know the DNS for God!  Sad
He does seem to care. He's talked to me enough. It just might be that he doesn't completely understand why I'd be doing this. He did give me the DNS.

From what I could gather he said that the IP for your computer is not important. The connection between it and the Gateway box creates a default IP for your computer, and it isn't significant. I wish you could talk to him. lol It just serves to confuse me.

Do you plug the DSL modem directly to your computer, doesn't you?
Yes. I connect my computer to the Gateway box they provide. Between the two there is an LAN. Then I connect, signing on, through my XIT broadband connection from there to the internet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 10:36:27 PM »
It just serves to confuse me.
So, don't worry. Let the things as they are right now.
If you have connections troubles, post again reporting what's wrong.  :)
Enjoy life  :)

PCdreamer

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 10:43:47 PM »
I guess you're right. I rely too much on my computer. I still don't know what's causing the problems. I just updated Zone Alarm and rebooted. Hopefully things will hold together over the weekend. I'll be sure to keep checking here.  Darn my dense nature when it comes to the complexities of computers, or at least what seems complex to me. I really appreciate all the help you've given. I'd like to genuinely thank you.

PCdreamer

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 05:09:21 AM »
I hope that double posting isn't frowned upon. I noticed my connection freeze up again tonight. Closing and reopening Firefox seemed to fix this. AIM was fine. So I'm not sure what caused that. It seems ZoneAlarm might be the cause. Someone mentioned setting it's protection level to medium to cure this. Does this really make a difference? I'm not sure I want to lower my security level.