Author Topic: A strange twist on a known problem  (Read 46573 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A strange twist on a known problem
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 03:13:57 PM »
Someone mentioned setting it's protection level to medium to cure this. Does this really make a difference? I'm not sure I want to lower my security level.
Yes, High settings on the privacy security of ZoneAlarm can prevent WebShield of working well.
Maybe some user of ZoneAlarm could post more info  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 03:49:41 PM »
For best results disable both privacy settings on ZAPro the actual effect on your privacy is negligable (least ways I have found none) I use FF1.03 and IE6 with xpsp2.  When I check my system with CrapCleaner there are no tracking cookies or data miners,  I have very, very few popups and ads plus I used RejZor AEC to give me full webshield protection and I experience no connection problems..  I have noticed some problems with FF where it sometimes opens 2 instances of the browser and neither display, I have to use task manager to shut all instances down then FF works OK ;D

EDIT I am on DSL
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:51:32 PM by essexboy »

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 03:54:33 PM »
using zone alarm i must put the internet security setting at medium if not i will lose my connection and i must reboot(i tried kerio&sygate ill stick w/zone alarm on medium -easy firewall)like pcdreamer said computer is online you just cant connect to anything?i use ff,opera&int.exp.
avast&zone alarm free
win xp
dsl

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »
using zone alarm i must put the internet security setting at medium if not i will lose my connection

Intriguing I have my security settings on high with no problems at all

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 04:14:28 PM »
when i reboot and get connected again im fine then it seems like when i leave the computer for awhile i get disconnected,like overnight then come back in morning open internet explorer or any browser and get that white page sayin cannot be displayed,when i set it on medium i have no problems at all.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
It sounds like you are auto disconnecting.  However I'm not sure how to fix that as my comp only connects when I tell it to.   I don't see how ZA can be doing that though.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2005, 05:59:43 PM »
im not sure why this happens but when i uninstall zone alarm and reboot after i never get disconnected my computer stays on all the time no problems(dsl)i tried kerio and sygate and had no problems but i like zone alarm cause it very simple,

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2005, 11:45:15 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that you are activating the ZA internet lock somehow, does the tray icon for ZA change into a padlock?

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »
no,doesnt show that its locked,i have no idea,i think with zone alarm internet setting set to medium im protected just not stealthed(i think)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 03:04:01 AM »
I think with zone alarm internet setting set to medium im protected just not stealthed(i think)?
Bri, don't worry that much about ZA privacy control (only in Professional version).
The internet level must be at High and the Local area (I don't know how they call it) could be at Medium.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 03:53:34 PM by Technical »

PCdreamer

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 03:56:27 AM »
The internet level must be at medium? I have it set to high. Also, I have the resident protection of Avast set to medium because it slows things down and causes pauses in programs running when I have it set to high.  My local security is set to high on ZA.  Have there been any Avast updates recently? I have it set to manually check. I don't like for anything on my computer to change without my knowing.

Since I just have the free version of Zone Alarm I don't have the extra privacy settings you all mention.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 04:20:37 AM »
technical i use the free version of zone alarm,i dont mean the privacy controls i mean the internet security setting in zone alarm free.if i connect through dsl (direct connection to internet)and no proxy,must i configure it because of zone alarm and webshield to go through a proxy(localhost-12080)?and then maybe i will stay connected?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
Try this, open control panel - network connections - right click your connection, select properties - select options tab - check IDLE TIME BEFORE HANGING UP I have mine set at never  what is yours set at.   Because you will disconnect from the net after the set period of time. 

Avast does work with security settings at high both intenet and trusted..

Edit:  do you have a dial up dialog appear on first connection to the net or have you set your system to connect automatically.  I have mine set up never to dial a connection so when I start my browser I get a dialup dialog,  however, if you are set to connect at start up and have disconect after Xhours idle then this may be where your problem lies.  I am on DSL 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 03:51:35 PM by essexboy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 03:52:18 PM »
Bri, I'm not sure, maybe follow what essexboy said (both at High level).
For me, when I have a LAN (local network) and a connection to the Internet is shared, the settings must be Medium for the LAN and High for the Internet Zone. Otherwise I can't share components (printer, files, etc.) into my local network (LAN).
Other configurations, I mean, a single computer connected to the Internet could allow both at High level.
I edited my first post.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »
Technical I'm not on a LAN so I can survive with them set to high plus I don't allow shares...