Author Topic: A strange twist on a known problem  (Read 46575 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: A strange twist on a known problem
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2005, 07:29:18 PM »
Technical I'm not on a LAN so I can survive with them set to high plus I don't allow shares...
Essexboy, you're right and I'm wrong, so I've edited my post.
The common user will set the security level to High  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2005, 10:37:51 PM »
The common user
  Aw shucks just 'cos I'm from Essex you fink I'm common ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PCdreamer

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2005, 11:48:14 PM »
For me, when I have a LAN (local network) and a connection to the Internet is shared, the settings must be Medium for the LAN and High for the Internet Zone. Otherwise I can't share components (printer, files, etc.) into my local network (LAN).
Other configurations, I mean, a single computer connected to the Internet could allow both at High level.

How do you set the security to medium for your LAN while leaving it high for the net? I'm not sure how that works. All I have are options for Internet Zone and then Trusted Zone. I have both set to high.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2005, 11:51:28 PM »
All I have are options for Internet Zone and then Trusted Zone. I have both set to high.
Sorry I do not use ZA that often (in my computer).
Most probably the LAN zone is the Trusted Zone.
The Internet is the other.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 03:05:42 AM »
im on dsl,i connect directly to internet(when i reboot im automatically connected)
essexboy heres what i did-(control panel-network connection-right click connection-select properties-select options tab(not there)-it says connect using 3com(network adapter)-click power management-then there was a check in the box next to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power,i unchecked it and see if that works
i set zone alarm to high on internet and trusted
windows xp pro
thanks bri

PCdreamer

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 04:09:25 AM »
So bri, you've not got it set to high for both? You mentioned before that you'd set it to medium to fix the problem.

My DSL connection requires me to connect manually. It's only automatically connected to the LAN when I boot, which is the connection between my computer and the digital TV box, which contains the DSL modem.

Edit:
I got an email back from Avast saying to go here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6871
I've manually configured a proxy for both Firefox and IE.  Will I have to do this with everything I use online? That being AIM, YM, Mozilla, Netscape, Outlook, and so on? I'm not sure if this has solved the problem, but I hope so.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:24:44 AM by PCdreamer »

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 04:41:49 AM »
i always had to have it set to medium or i get knocked off line,but as i mentioned in my post before this one essexboy mentioned something so i tried that and now i set them both to high(direct connection no router,dsl)and well see if it works.i tried that settin up proxy but same thing happened,so ill wait-pray and see what happens,bri

PCdreamer

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »
What'd you try? I read a previous entry where you did something with power management, but my network settings don't include that anywhere. I'm still not sure whether or not I have to setup the proxy for each program. I wonder if I need to set it specifically or just to autodetect.  But this is another subject. You were talking about what essexboy mentioned?

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 04:14:11 PM »
pcdreamer read back to essexboy' last couple post's in this topic and youll see it on the connections management,anyhow i left the computer last night and i was online running bearshare and then got up this morning and bearshare was still online but avast had an error(could not update)and mozilla thunderbird could not connect and either could any of my browser,so i went in system tray right clicked on zone alarm(free)and shut it down,when i did that everything had access to the internet?i give up with zone alarm cause its not working with my system,ill keep tryin some other ones out,good luck pcdreamer

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2005, 07:34:24 PM »
I do not have any proxies set up for Internet Explorer, FireFox, Outlook Express or Thunderbird.
Avast was just installed and let run with all sensitivity settings on high, ZAPro is set on high for internet and trusted zones with both privacy zones turned off. I used RejZor's AEC to take full advantage of Webshield . 
Also running while online is M$AntiSpy.
To be honest I've run out of ideas as to where your problem might be, do you have the latest version of ZA  (5.5.094.000) Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing ZA?

Ther is an answer somewhere just aint found it yet... ;D

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2005, 09:04:27 PM »
ive tried everything,as i said its something to do with zone alarm because without it i stay connected 24x7,bummer cause i like zone alarm very easy firewall for me.ill try some other freebies,bri

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2005, 09:49:23 PM »
I have heard some good things about Kerio although I'm not sure if it's free also sysgate is available.  However as a numpty I've only used ZA 'cos it's simple.  I'm sure someone will be along soon with some good suggestions.. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2005, 09:56:06 PM »
I have heard some good things about Kerio although I'm not sure if it's free also sysgate is available.
Sure it's freeware. Some features (the pro ones) will be unavailable after a trial period and only the freeware will stay working.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
i went to download.com and looked,im trying one now called netveda safety.net(free) pretty simple,went to pcflank and ran stealth test and it passed then went to shields up and said port 0 is seen on the net but is closed??ill see how this one goes for awhile i guess?

PCdreamer

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2005, 04:47:13 AM »
So far giving full access to Avast's various pieces in ZA and then setting up the proxy in Firefox has worked, but I'll keep testing. I've not done much today, and my problems with my connection often spur from prolonged use. If I don't do anything, the working connection lasts longer. So we'll see. I'll also reboot either tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. My ISP is supposed to be doing an update tonight or tomorrow night so that might throw me a little. We'll see.

Edit/Update:

For some reason my connection works for everything for the most part without problems, but it still goes dead with Firefox after a while of use. So if I close and reopen it, it works again, but it's still stalled and slow, often requiring me to reload a page to get everything to load.  I setup the proxy for web shield(is it?), but that doesn't seemed to have solved my problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumpted as to what's causing this.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 08:42:41 AM by PCdreamer »