Author Topic: A strange twist on a known problem  (Read 46731 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: A strange twist on a known problem
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2005, 11:40:48 AM »
I do not have any proxies set up for Internet Explorer, FireFox, Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

PCdreamer

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2005, 03:36:32 AM »
I don't get it then. I just don't get it. What's wrong? I've scanned for viruses, spyware, adware, and so on. I've cleaned anything I could find. I've granted all of Avast's various parts access in Zone Alarm. I even setup proxies as the email from Avast's tech support pointed me to at their FAQ page. I don't know what's left to try.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2005, 03:43:32 AM »
I don't get it then. I just don't get it. What's wrong? I've scanned for viruses, spyware, adware, and so on. I've cleaned anything I could find. I've granted all of Avast's various parts access in Zone Alarm. I even setup proxies as the email from Avast's tech support pointed me to at their FAQ page. I don't know what's left to try.
But, after all this long thread, which is your problem now?  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

PCdreamer

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2005, 03:45:55 AM »
But, after all this long thread, which is your problem now?

Just a couple of posts back I updated about what's going on.  I think it's on the previous page now though.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2005, 04:06:40 AM »
pcdreamer,instead of getting aggravaited and ready to throw the computer off the wall ;D) try another firewall(unless you paid for yours)zone alarm and avast on some peoples systems have problems like i did.try some other firewalls out and maybe youll have better luck,i know from experience,bri

PCdreamer

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2005, 04:25:19 AM »
Well, I shut down Zone Alarm a moment ago to see if it made any difference in Firefox. No other programs have shown any connections problems in several days. Firefox is slow on the net though and images on pages, especially pages with lots of content, often don't load. I end up reloading the pages in order to see everything.  Eventually, nothing will load in Firefox at all. Closing the program and reopening it seems to fix this though, at least for a while. These are recent events, however.  I've rebooted again and we'll see what happens. I don't know of anything I've changed that would cause the connection problem that affects all programs to disappear. It seems that sometimes when I reboot things behave better than others. I'm still not certain it has nothing to do with Zone Alarm either. It just seems less likely now.

PCdreamer

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »
I know I'm probably bugging you all to death by now, but my problem persists. Where as it had only seemed to be affecting Firefox recently, after rebooting last night and using the computer throughout the day, the full out connection problem returned. My browser could no longer do anything, and I tried IE as well to no avail. Shutting down ZA this time seemed to unlock the problem where as before it did not. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to know for sure what's going on. I may try uninstalling ZA, but I've heard that's a difficult process. I know others here have done it though. In that case, I'll need another firewall.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2005, 02:09:57 PM »
pcdreamer,zone alarm has its own uninstaller(from start menu),ive uninstalled it without any problems,bri