Author Topic: BSOD after registration/update  (Read 2938 times)

morzh

BSOD after registration/update
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »
Hi!

Here's what happened.
I am running Win XP on a Turion 64 x2 processor, DELL LATITUDE.
The version is now cannot be confirmed but on another computer it is 8.0.1489. It is the Free Tool.

The registration was about to expire, so I re-registered, and once done, I also updated the code and the virus defs.
The computer worked some after that before it was shut down.

After that on the bootup I got BSOD.
I also got BSOD on the next boot-up.

Then I went to the Safe mode and did CHKDSK. Then re-booted.
BSOD.

I went to the system restore. The restore was successful, and then the full version booted up.
I updated the registration again (no code update) and re-booted.
BSOD

Booted in the safe mode. Uninstalled AVAST. Reboot. Success. Reboot again. Success.

What gives?

morzh

Re: BSOD after registration/update
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:31:52 AM »
OK

If this is the speed of the reply, I guess I was justified in uninstalling Avast and supplanting it with Ad=Aware.

Aventador

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
First of all you have a very old computer running Windows XP. Did you install SP3? Are you currently running any other security?

morzh

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
I have even older P4 computer running XP and AVAST. And it's doing just fine.
This one is a dual core, so it is that much faster.

Yes they are fully updated SP3, with updates enabled.

And, again, Avast worked fine until that last update. And I am not even sure if it was the code update or the registration (I think - code) that did it in, but, hey - these computers are fast enough for me to keep them, I am not a gamer, I browse Internet and read email, and go on forums - this is my activity and I do not need Sandy Bridge for that.

And other antiviruses work just fine, so "Hey Avast probably shouldn't be run on older computers" is lame.

Now as for the other software, I have Spybot installed on all computers. Again, so far they have been working fine together.

And AdAware did not ask how old it is. It just works.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
Now as for the other software, I have Spybot installed on all computers.

Drop Spybot and try again.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

morzh

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »
It is not Spybot.

Anyways, thanks everyone, Ihave no way of checking things now as I uninstalled Avast on that computer and installed AdAware.

On this computer I am writing from right now, which is P4 1.4GHz with 1GB RAM, running XP SP3 fully updated, I still have AVast 8.0.1489 (if it did not autoupdate to whatever it should - I do not know) and Spybot and they are going along just fine.
Not sure what will happen if I update the code using the Update buttons. But so far this one is OK. The other one was not, and now is OK running AdAware and SpyBot.

I think I won't be wasting anyone's time with it now.