Author Topic: Software Firewall with avast! Free?  (Read 9385 times)

Sithis

Software Firewall with avast! Free?
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:48 AM »
Hello,

I've been using the Free version of avast! Antivirus and Im very impressed with the quality of this security software  ;)

just started to think about installing a Firewall to run along side avast! as Windows Firewall isn't effective. my question is simple: Which Firewall work good with avast! (without) any conflict?

I was thinking about installing either Online Armor Free or PrivateFirewall, but after seen this threat on "Emsisoft Forums" http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/11040-oa-firewall-rule-bypassed-when-avast-web-shield-also-running/

kinda start to think about withdrawing the whole idea.. I know the threat is kinda old and new versions of both softwares released, but dunno if the problem still exist? and what about avast! Free users here use for their Firewall?

Im thinking about 3 choices:
1- PrivateFirewall
2- Online Armor Free
3- ZoneAlarm Free

so what you guys think?
NOTE: No Comodo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:02:56 AM by Sithis »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Software Firewall with avast! Free?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »
Any of your choices should work fine with avast as long as you provide the right exclusions from each other, Outpost is my favourite choice of firewalls but that is paid.

Note that Online Armor can be a little heavier so I've heard.

Sithis

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:31:16 AM »
Any of your choices should work fine with avast as long as you provide the right exclusions from each other, Outpost is my favourite choice of firewalls but that is paid.

Note that Online Armor can be a little heavier so I've heard.

thx for reply  ;)

so, in conclusion, non of the Firewall I mention would conflict with avast!'s Web Shield whatsoever?

thx again for providing your opinion. for me, my fav are either Online Armor or PrivateFirewall

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:11 AM »
Yes you should be fine but the only way to know for sure is to try them as all systems behave differently.

cooby

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »
I was thinking about installing either Online Armor Free or PrivateFirewall, but after seen this threat on "Emsisoft Forums" http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/11040-oa-firewall-rule-bypassed-when-avast-web-shield-also-running/
Find a firewall that monitors localhost. Zone Alarm, Outpost, Sunbelt (if on XP), Kerio (if on XP). Not Sygate. Ones you mentioned are probably ok, but rules have to be made in the firewall. Allow internet facing applications  to connect to Avast proxy port 12080 by TCP. Deny for all other applications. Avast will make the internet connection, examine it, and allow if no scumware found. Problem solved.

cooby

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:03:09 AM »
, Outpost is my favourite choice of firewalls but that is paid.
There is a free version of Outpost FW. It's a bit stripped down. One thing I recall, it only logs what's denied, doesn't log allowed connections. There might be few other differences, but free is just fine.

Sithis

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
thx for your useful reply cooby  ;)

just installed Online Armor Free and done all the exclusions. so far, everything seems ok.

I've noticed that OA Free does include a Web Shield. While I'm Not concern if it could conflicts with avast! or not.. do I have to turn it off or just leave it the way its?

Tetsuo

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »

I've noticed that OA Free does include a Web Shield. While I'm Not concern if it could conflicts with avast! or not.. do I have to turn it off or just leave it the way its?

Leave it the way it is: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/Domains.shtml (In particular, you may want to check the 'BITS protection' section of the online Help)

Edit: added some info
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:09:49 PM by Tetsuo »

Sithis

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »

Leave it the way it is: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/Domains.shtml (In particular, you may want to check the 'BITS protection' section of the online Help)

Edit: added some info

ahh nice. thank you mate  ;)

Tetsuo

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »

ahh nice. thank you mate  ;)

you're welcome! ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »
Check this out http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

The latest Comodo Firewall is IMHO bloatware.
I use Private Firewall.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Sithis

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:56:42 AM »
Check this out http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

The latest Comodo Firewall is IMHO bloatware.
I use Private Firewall.  :)

Yes, I like PrivateFirewall because its simple, light and effective =)

as you mention, Comodo is bloatware. way too many features and its not the right choice to use alongside an AV that has already too many Shields (like avast!)

Comodo is a great choice with AVs like NOD32 or Avira, as they are simple and almost no zero-day protection  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:15:07 AM by Sithis »