Author Topic: virus keeps attempting to shut down avast  (Read 1473 times)

Lancerblade

virus keeps attempting to shut down avast
« on: July 30, 2013, 02:56:15 AM »
a new problem arose for me today as a virus is repeatedly attempting to shut down my free version of avast. it is incredibly annoying as it minimises whatever im doing to display the alert, which is hidden offscreen (i think this may be the virus also, and it is definately offscreen not just minimised)

at first i thought it might be a problem with avast itself and proceeded to remove and reinstall it. however i found that the avast website was completely blocked by this virus (if its the same one)   i can confirm this since my netbook can access it fine as can my phone,  the comp can only access the site while in safemode with networking.

another problem arose when i finished reinstaling, one of the shields (mail one) was turned off and could not be turned on, it said that avast had to be run to turn it on, but avast was of course running to display that message in the first place. unless im missing something
and the old problem persisted still.

i also did a full scan with antimalwarebytes in safemode and avast also, they could not find the virus causing this so i am stumped. as normally on the rare few cases where the scan didnt work i could identify the virus, and look how to remove said virus, but i cannot even identify this one and i could not find any useful information at all.

does anyone know what i can do to get rid of this virus?

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Re: virus keeps attempting to shut down avast
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:32 AM »
Hi,

avast possess an powerfull self defence moduls. It is not easy (almost impossible) to put off avast by force but we need to know what malware you have and what does attacks avast.

FIRST

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Under Optional Scan ensure "List BCD" and "Driver MD5" are ticked.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
THEN

Please download GMER, AntiRootkit tool from the link below and save it to your Desktop:

Gmer download link
Note: file will be random named

Double-clicking to run GMER.
  • Wait for initial scan to finish - if there is any query, click No;
  • Click Scan button and wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... - save the report to the Desktop (named Gmer1 );

• Right-click wherever in the GMER's window and select Options > 3rd party - click the Scan button;
  • Please wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... button and save report to Desktop (named Gmer2 );
    note: time scan for Gmer2 log may take some time

• Click the >>> and select Autostart card;
  • After quick scan, click Copy button;
  • Open notepad and Paste text. Save report to the Desktop (named Gmer3 )
> Attach here all Gmer logreports. (Gmer1; Gmer2 and Gmer3)

Summary:
Please attach it to your next reply;

FRST.txt and Addition.txt created by FRST
    Gmer1.txt , Gmer2.txt and Gmer3.txt logs created by Gmer
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:08:47 AM by magna86 »