Author Topic: Announcement: avast! Mobile Beta Test  (Read 142211 times)

Zocor

Re: Announcement: avast! Mobile Beta Test
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
Though i am not a beta tester i received an update today telling me i can go premium, nice but there's no way to upgrade, all upgrade attempts end up in redirecting to Google Play where one can only remove avast! Mobile Security. Reinstalling (as the message to go premium says) just reinstalles the latest update. Clicking the link in the dashboard on the website to go downloading avast! Backup result in an error from Google Play that the file is not found.

Is this a joke or are we really going premium and if so how????

Regards, Zocor. ;)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
?? Which notification did you get?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
We've just released release candidate #1 build 5718 on Beta channel. This update fixes some minor issues. Regards Reinhard

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
Would you recommend staying on the beta channel or switching to the stable?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

reinhardholzner

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »
as you wish. we do not suggest to downgrade.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
I'll stay as I am. No harm in that. :-)
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Zocor

« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
?? Which notification did you get?

Some screenies then, I also see my Dutch translations are not 100% need to contact Trevor about it ;) It could be though Trevor gave me a beta some time ago because of my translation efforts having an example to see if the length of the translations where correct. That might be the reason for this issue. It's no problem though. :P

Sorry it's in Dutch.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:50:53 PM by Zocor »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
ah you're not a beta tester! there was a bug in our delivery system which caused announcement of a beta build to the public. you should reinstall as this bug is now fixed and you'll get public version again.

Zocor

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
OK, thank you Reinhard.  ;)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Can I use googles new anti theft with avast anti theft without problems?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
We didnt test yet.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
Well it has already been downloaded to handsets! I have activated it already but just wanted to know the official line on things. :-)

chrismalla

« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
Let's share my story...

Back when I first wanted an anti-theft app I went out and compared the alternatives. At that time, I thought Avast had the greatest set of features available and after days of use and exploration, I was in love. I helped out by filing a few bugs that Reinhard Holzner kindly fixed in a quick manner. And best of all, it was free. I would even pay 5 bucks for it on the Play Store if that was the price. However, here's the problem. The only security feature I care about is anti-theft, no backup, no antivirus, no other. Paying 2 bucks a month for the extra features however will never going to happen in my case. I still think Avast Anti-Theft is one of the top anti-theft apps out there but the competition is strong. Since I'm not ready signing up for a subscription payment only for anti-theft, I'll happily move over to Cerberus and pay me into the premium features for only 3 dollars (one time payment). Before I uninstall Avast Anti-theft however, I want to thank Reinhard for his help and development for the app and the community of course.

I also want to report a minor bug with the beta release: When remotely taking pictures, the shot-sound will be heard. You should extend the time the device is muted in order to completely remove the sound. It's probably completely removed on other ROMs and phones, but on my Nexus 4 running CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2), the shot sounds. If it's possible, you could maybe remove the notification icon indicating the phone has gone into silent mode and immediately exited it.

Thanks for your time! Hopefully Cerberus is as great as Avast Anti-theft.

binhvirile

« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Hello,

1. I have a suggestion based on my experience in using AMS. As I told before, I had some issues with app locking and uninstall protection of AMS. While I was waiting for a solution from the team, I was trying many ways with hope to fix these issues, including factory reset. The inconvenience here was I had to manually configure settings for AMS, Anti-Theft (eg. set locked apps, protection behaviour, lock text, etc.) each time installed avast apps.

So I think it'd better to make an option "Sync settings from Archived device(s)". This option allows users sync their own settings of avast apps in their "archived" device(s). It's good in many cases as my experience above. :)

2. As again, how about my idea in this topic?

- The main interface seems difficult to see other features (which is available when slide to the right) and may make users wonder whether these features are still available. So I suggest adding a direct "user guide" interface in the first time of use about the "slide bar".

This user guide is a pattern which show a signal to the left slide.
By the way, I also remember that the AMS v2 show the slide bar automatically in the first using time to notice the user. But I can't find this in the beta version.

3. This relating to Backup. I ran a backup from my device before factory reset (all options selected, 50 MB restriction). After reseted, it couldn't restore all of my audio files and apk files (these files was missed). As I remember these files weren't larger than 50 MB. So what happened to my missing files?  :(
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:44:52 AM by binhvirile »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
2. As again, how about my idea in this topic?

- The main interface seems difficult to see other features (which is available when slide to the right) and may make users wonder whether these features are still available. So I suggest adding a direct "user guide" interface in the first time of use about the "slide bar".

This user guide is a pattern which show a signal to the left slide.
By the way, I also remember that the AMS v2 show the slide bar automatically in the first using time to notice the user. But I can't find this in the beta version.

AMSv3 shows it the second time you open the app :)

Filip