Author Topic: Removed Norton Internet Security and Installed Avast Internet Security?  (Read 4908 times)

Offline honda2010

Got my dad a new desktop from Tiger Direct. Has windows 7 pro installed and a 6 month trial of Norton Internet Security. I deleted the Norton with Advanced Uninstaller and i also ran the Norton uninstaller tool. I don't see a trace of Norton except 1 thing. In the Icon task bar notifications there is still a Norton Internet Security ccSvcHst.exe and have the options for the notifications to change them. How can I get rid of this? The Avast Install went well with no problems and is working correctly just need to get rid of the Norton Icon in task bar. Thanks in advance for any help.
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AMD 760 Motherboard ,  AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Unlocked, OEM, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, Samsung Evo SSD, Windows 10 Latest , Fire Fox Latest with ABP, Malwarebytes Pro.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
You should kill the process in Taskmanager, run the Norton Removal Tool found here ... http://www.norton.com/nrt
Reboot the Computer again. But probably you want to complete the process under guidance of a qualified remover here,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline honda2010

I dunno how to kill it. Will only let me turn notifications off and hide them. I will try the tool you listed.
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AMD 760 Motherboard ,  AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Unlocked, OEM, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, Samsung Evo SSD, Windows 10 Latest , Fire Fox Latest with ABP, Malwarebytes Pro.

Offline honda2010

Well I don't see it in task manager anyway. I don't think its running cause in the task bar notifications it has red x on it. I will run the tool and see what happens.

Offline honda2010

I ran the tool you ask me to. It is still in the task bar options to turn on or off or hide but has a red x on it. I will search google to see if I can find anything myself to. Thanks

Offline honda2010

This is what I'm seeing.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
That is just the old taskbar notifications icon, nothing to worry about.

To completely make sure all parts of Norton are removed you will need to run an explorer search for Norton and Symantec and if you are confident enough in the registry you can run the same two searches in there also.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Try this small vbs programme, it clears all notification items until they are used again

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73555776/clear-notification-items.vbs

Offline honda2010

Try this small vbs programme, it clears all notification items until they are used again

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73555776/clear-notification-items.vbs

oh wow i dont know if I want to tackle that or not.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:22:07 PM by honda2010 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
This vbs clears all the cache data that windows holds.  So as soon as it runs the notification area is empty, reboot and the startup items (AV, Dropbox etc...) will now repopulate :)