Author Topic: Loads of malware!!!  (Read 25135 times)

Offline Interista

Re: Loads of malware!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Is there any way of getting rid of these rubbish files - I have no idea what they contain but there's loads of them (see attached picture).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
The OTL folder should disappear once you run the OTL cleanup.   All the others are related to windows updates and can be safely deleted

Offline Interista

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
The _OTL folder didn't delete?

I ran filohippo and I've been able to update everything except for NVIDIA - when it goes to checking system compatibility it says it couldn't find compatible graphics hardware.

Also filohippo can't find Flash Player 11.8.800.129 Beta (IE) nor Flash Player 11.8.800.129 Beta (Non-IE) to update those.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »
The flash players are beta versions so it will only find RTM versions

Delete the _OTL folder manually

Offline Interista

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
What should I do about NVIDIA - when I right click on certain files - videos etc - I get a NVIDIA error message - see picture below.

Also I have a problem with windows update - see second picture.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
Check your Nvidia drivers here and then download the latest version
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-uk

Those are dotnet updates and are a notorious pain in the posterior

We will need to uninstall and then re-install .Net framework

Download Dontetfx cleanup tool. zip to your desktop
Unzip the tool
Run the exe file
Click throught the EULA popups
Select All Version

Once done reboot the computer
Download then run the Net 4.0 installer from here
Then install
Reboot and try Updates and Office again please

Offline Interista

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
I went to the nvidia site but nothing happened.

I've downloaded everything that seemed suitable from that page you gave me a link to - which was pretty much everything - except that I use sumatra rather than foxit and CCleaner rather than TFC. The only other thing I didn't do was, I run malwarebytes but it also suggests spywareguard and spywareblaster - are these necessary?

Finally, I use windows firewall, can I stick with that or should I download zonealarm for example?

By the way, what does opendns do?

Offline Interista

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
By the way, I downloaded that keystroke scrambler thing and I can't get into a forum I use now - not sure if the two are related.

I'm also having trouble with facebook - I can't click any of the tabs - I downloaded the no script program as well - don't know if that interferes?

Oddly, the problem is with firefox, everything works ok in chrome.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:46:29 PM by Interista »

Offline Interista

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Windows update working now.

I'm putting all my questions in ordered format so its easier for you :).

1. By the way, I downloaded that keystroke scrambler thing and I can't get into a forum I use now - not sure if the two are related.

I'm also having trouble with facebook - I can't click any of the tabs - I downloaded the no script program as well - don't know if that interferes?

Oddly, the problem is with firefox, everything works ok in chrome.

2. I went to the nvidia site but nothing happened.

3. I've downloaded everything that seemed suitable from that page you gave me a link to - which was pretty much everything - except that I use sumatra rather than foxit and CCleaner rather than TFC. The only other thing I didn't do was, I run malwarebytes but it also suggests spywareguard and spywareblaster - are these necessary?

4. Finally, I use windows firewall, can I stick with that or should I download zonealarm for example?

5. By the way, what does opendns do?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:01:43 PM by Interista »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
but it also suggests spywareguard and spywareblaster - are these necessary
No as MBAM and Avast have these covered

As you are on XP I would recommend a third party firewall there are some suggestions about firewalls on the forum I think private firewall is the most recommended http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

I am not sure about noscript as I do not use Firefox

For the driver try Slimdrivers http://www.driverupdate.net/downloads/SlimDrivers-setup.exe install and then run

Offline Interista

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
www.google.com also looks a little funny in firefox now. A huge G and O and the rest of the letters are missing.

Is there anyway to fix firefox - I hate chrome etc.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:15:41 PM by Interista »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »

Offline Interista

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
You could try a Firefox reset  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

I worked out what the problem is - with no scripts I have to initially "accept" certain sites.

Nearly finished with slimdrivers now - there were a lot of drivers to update.

My only problem now would be that I know have problems with BitMeter2 and Webcake (I know what the first is and its very useful, the second I don't know). I tried to fix it myself and found a program called Advanced Fix but it found 1000s of errors so I thought it better to leave it alone and ask you what to do. It seems to be runtime errors.

Also, can I reuse that thing you told me about which got rid of the Windows Update folders - they're back again after the new updates?

Offline Interista

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
There are about four of these errors - one is webcake, another is bitmeter2 (I love bitmeter2 and would hate to lose it) - they seem to be related to .net

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
You could try a Firefox reset  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
My only problem now would be that I know have problems with BitMeter2 and Webcake (I know what the first is and its very useful, the second I don't know). I tried to fix it myself and found a program called Advanced Fix but it found 1000s of errors so I thought it better to leave it alone and ask you what to do. It seems to be runtime errors.

...Also,
Advanced Fix, Advanced Care, etc,., generally cause more problems than they purport to solve.  Suggest using WOT (see my sig below) to preview trustworthiness and vendor reputation before visiting any site.  Link in sig is clickable.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801