Author Topic: Where to find avast 8 pro logs in XP  (Read 4635 times)

Entity7

Where to find avast 8 pro logs in XP
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
Ive searched forums and even tried google but cannot find where logs of previous avast actions and alerts can be found. Several days ago avast alerted that it had found a rootkit and the offending files were deleted. I want to go back and review the actions including the directory and infected file name but cannot find the proper logs. I am using Avast Pro on a windows XP system. Please only reply of you know for sure the answer and please do not offer suggestions that do not directly answer the above question (such as other products, versions or guesses)

Thank You

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Where to find avast 8 pro logs in XP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
This is the log directory on win 7 and 8 so you should be able to work it out  :) C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
Windows XP  C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\Log

Entity7

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »
Thanks question answered no further replies required  :)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »
Good luck finding it because by default many machines will not be set to display certain folder/files. When I went looking for the Avast log on my WinXP laptop in that same location there was nothing there, no Avast folder at all.  It took me a long time to realise that Application Data was in a hidden folder.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
...Good luck finding it because by default many machines will not be set to display certain folder/files...

Some time we take for granted that condition. Only go to Folder Options > View and mark where it says " Show all hidden files and folders ".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/