Author Topic: I don't Understand something...  (Read 2271 times)

wwlphotos

I don't Understand something...
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
I downloaded a program, thinking it was an update for an existing program and the file had some malware & Trojans in it. While I "greatly" appreciate the fact that you software blocked the programs, I don't understand why it did not remove them.  The alerts started sounding around 10pm and them seemed to be on a 10min cycle of repeating and did not stop so I just turned the sound around 2 am.

When I got up this morning, I looked at the alerts, did a search for the  file listed in the alert, found another program that removed the issue in a matter of minutes.

I'm curious to know if I only get alerts because I am running the free version of program OR is your sofrware only designed to alert me of issues?

Please advise

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: I don't Understand something...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
While I "greatly" appreciate the fact that you software blocked the programs, I don't understand why it did not remove them.
it usually blocke before anything can be downloaded...but maybe something managed to sneek in. no security program have 100% detection

what did the avast popup say?.....right click avast tray icon..show last popup....take screenshot and attach here

When I got up this morning, I looked at the alerts, did a search for the  file listed in the alert, found another program that removed the issue in a matter of minutes.
what program was that?
what was detected and removed?

wwlphotos

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
The last popup option is grayed out, data was likely removed when the virus was removed.   As I recall there were 7 alerts but I only noticed 3.  One was sirfef-btn; malware-gen & trojan-gen.  I was downloading an update for monaco optix vs. 2.6.5, it is a monitor calibration program.

as an FYI.... This is not the 1st time I've had this happen.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
i recomend you follow this guide, then a removal expert can check for any infections...

follow guide and attach the requested logs  (not copy and paste)   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

run in order listed
AdwCleaner / Malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR

when done removal experts will be notified and check the logs for infections....

if trouble running any of the Tools, try run from safe mode..