Author Topic: Gmail and attachments  (Read 3411 times)

scottb

Gmail and attachments
« on: April 30, 2005, 03:31:20 PM »
I have the free version of Avast! running - very well, I must say. I have a problem with GMail in that I cannot download any kind of attachments and when I say any, I mean any eg .doc;s pdf's. I also have the Windows Spyware Beta and rthe Windows Firewall and that is it. I also have XP with SP2.

Is there any possibility that my problem might be avast! related and if so what can I do?

ScottB

Offline xistenz

• Poster
Re: Gmail and attachments
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 03:56:05 PM »
GMail is very selective about the attachments that it lets through. You can only really send pictures and documents as attachments. I (therefore) highly doubt that it is avast related. Try and zip your attachments before you send them.

scottb

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 06:18:39 PM »
Hi xistenz

If you read my posting. you'll see that I cannot get Word docs or Adobe pdfs. Thanks anyway.

Scottb

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:22:56 PM »
ZIP doesn't solve anything. You can review ZIP files even if they are encrypted.
Use RAR or ACE instead and see if you can send/recieve it (doc or pdf file).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 07:09:40 PM »
I just tried, and no problems with sending/receiving gmail attachments at all. Everything works perfect. I did try with .doc and .pdf files, and doesn't matter what file size is the file I'm trying to send, every time works without a problem.

As you may have already noticed, avast! even doesn't check your gmail account by default. Gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer protocol) and avast! doesn't support it. So, I don't see how avast can stop your attachments from being delivered (sent/received).

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 07:49:01 PM »
I just tried, and no problems with sending/receiving gmail attachments at all. Everything works perfect. I did try with .doc and .pdf files, and doesn't matter what file size is the file I'm trying to send, every time works without a problem.
No troulbes here too.

As you may have already noticed, avast! even doesn't check your gmail account by default. Gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer protocol) and avast! doesn't support it. So, I don't see how avast can stop your attachments from being delivered (sent/received).
avast! is checking my email (using Stunnel and OpenSSL) and receive/deliver attached files without problems.
The best things in life are free.