Author Topic: Will Avast! e-mail work when the ISP has Port 25 blocked  (Read 2240 times)

pcnavigator

Will Avast! e-mail work when the ISP has Port 25 blocked
« on: April 30, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »
Will Avast! e-mail work when the ISP has Port 25 blocked?

I have to get a new Internet Service Provider as the one I currently have is going out of business, and some of the ISP's I have been considering have the e-mail Port 25 blocked.
Will Avast! email, when it sets up, work or will I have to get other ISP's.

Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Will Avast! e-mail work when the ISP has Port 25 blocked
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 05:49:21 PM »
Yes avast! email scanner will still work, even if the SMTP port is blocked, even if you scan outbound email, it wont get delivered as the ISP has blocked the port. Unless they have some other way of you being able to send email (web based email, must be on-line to compose and send, IMAP, but I doubt this).

Port 25 is only one of the ports that avast's email scanner monitors and this is your SMTP port, meaning you can't send emails. You receive email on port 110 (POP3) and that to is monitored by avast.

Are you saying that there are no other options, e.g. port 26, normally an ISP might block port 26 (the alternative SMTP port). Personally I wouldn't touch an ISP with this kind of restriction with a barge pole, you really can do without the hassle. Some email programs may have problems with the port settings if the ISP insists on using a different port to the default SMTP port 25 for sending email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security