Author Topic: Avast detects Android:GinMaster-CO[trj] in all of my apps  (Read 12077 times)

marceljschutte

Avast detects Android:GinMaster-CO[trj] in all of my apps
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
Hello,

This afternoon my phone wouldn't let me open any apps, Avast had detected a trojan in all of my apps. The trojan was: Android:GinMaster-CO[trj]. Is this a false positive or can i somehow remove this trojan?

My virus definition version: 130805-00.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Marcel

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast detects Android:GinMaster-CO[trj] in all of my apps
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
Hello,

without direct access to the device it's hard to tell wether it's a false positive or not.
I'd un- and reinstall Mobile Security to make sure the detections aren't a result of corrupted virus definitions.

regards,

Werner

marceljschutte

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
Hi Werner,

Thanks for your advice. I reinstalled the Mobile Security App, after which all the trojan detections were gone.

PowerON

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Hello,

I had the same problem this morning.

Reinstalling the app solved the problem but I lost some data.

I thought I had to format my SD Card and reinstall the Android OS.

Please solve this issue very fast!

Thanks,
Adrian

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
Hi,

unfortunatelly wrong virus definitions have been released for a brief amount of time. We are working on a fix and once it is released, I'll let you know (so you can manually check for updates and don't have to wait for the automatic process to kick in).

Filip

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
Hello,
update the VPS to 14010901, please.

Milos

GREG_K

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
"THANKS", I removed Skype as it was first showed infected and was very close to make phone default state.

Kaleisy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »
I have the same issue, today I woke up to see avast detected as trojan most of my apps, including the launcher [Trebuchet[, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and so on...will try the reinstalling Mobile Sec., hope it fixes the problem.

trontur

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
Hello,

this was very annoying. 9 Apps recognized as false positives! I couldn't use my Nexus 4 (Android 4.4.2) quite a while because avast repeatedly crashes.

After updating to 140109-01 and full rescan all is OK again.

What are the plans of avast optimizing the update processes so that this kind of failure will be avoided?

Greetings

Trontur

DavidForrest

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi
I have version 14010900. When I say to check for updates it says I have the latest version. What should I do?
Thanks

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
Hi,

did you try the update process on different networks?

Filip

Offline Blobba

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
There was a similar symptom for another user. see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144407.msg1047422#msg1047422

The solution was to delete app data, but you will lose most/all your Mobile Security settings which you probably don't want to  :D

deepinsight

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
READ THIS:

VINCENT STECKLERDecember 4th, 2009
Apologies for Bad Definition Update
You may have heard that we released a virus database update early Thursday morning (or Wednesday night depending on the time zone). We are deeply sorry for releasing this update and the trouble it caused you. Of the users that received the update, most encountered no problems, some encountered minor issues, and some had significant problems.

I apologize to each and every one of you—I realize that security is fundamentally about trust and you have to trust your security provider. We made a mistake here and it won’t happen again.

We have highly automated systems and processes for testing and releasing virus updates. Updates are thoroughly tested before being released. But the process failed due to a “human failure”. This was an example of the old proverb “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”. Some engineers thought they were doing the right thing by sending out an out-of-cycle update to fix a problem. Unfortunately, they circumvented the automated systems and ended up sending out the wrong update—one that had not yet been tested.

There are detailed explanations of this issue and how to fix it on our support forum (http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=377). And our CTO has authored a detailed explanation of how this happened (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51783). In the next few days I will write another blog entry about how we are changing our processes to ensure this problem does not ever occur again.

In the meanwhile, please accept mine (and the company’s) apologies for the troubles we have caused you. We won’t let it ever happen again.

Well they did, and I for one have unistalled Avast and installed Trend Micro Security in its place.

UN-Believable