Author Topic: Skin suggesstion  (Read 34047 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Skin suggesstion
« on: May 01, 2005, 01:02:09 PM »
I know Alwil wants to be uniqe,but if you wish to get attention from bigger user base you need to dump player like interface skin. I know it's possible to make something more complex,but i simply don't have the time and resources(knowledge) to create such skin. People are always screaming for Norton like interface.
Well i would go with a hybrid of BitDefender 8 and Norton 2005 interface design in blue colors (when someone says avast! i first think of blue color ;) ).

Hi-tech professional looking design,logically arranged buttons and new 4.6 design colors should do the trick. This should do the trick for sure.
Also less round lines and buttons should do the trick.

This shouldn't take long to design and create such skin for a professinal like Martin,but it's simpy to much for amateur like me :( Even MacLoverOS X took ma ages to complete...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Skin suggesstion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »
A good idea to have a professional looking default skin, those who like quirky or more artistic, colourful skins have many they can choose from.

I too like clean lines and have to admit, I didn't like the default Blue Panel skin, enough to go looking for a different skin.

I have very few skins downloaded and one of those is your MacLoverOS X, others I use regularly are flat'n' simple, rejzor-sharp and scz-kde.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:58:54 PM »
Also less round lines and buttons should do the trick.

There is one with "less round" lines and buttons...

I don't know, but I tried to give my best with avast! Brushed, and IMHO I don't think it looks "playerish"... I mean, whole OS style is well known as very serious hi-end design.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 05:41:05 PM »
First one looks like crap and it's used only in situations where you are limited by display colors.
Second one is very nice i agree,but it's a Mac style skin. avast! is not a Mac program and it's main interface should look like some other OS.
As alternative skin it's great,but not as main skin.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 05:56:03 PM »
No one ever said that avast! brushed should be "main" skin. In my opinion, "main" skin should always be something that comes from Alwil official graphic designer. Bottom line, he is the guy that Alwil pays for his graphic related work.

I'm just saying, that there are some professional looking skins in avast! download section. It's not like we have just those "gamey" skins as many people mentioned before. On the other hand... I think that "Silver Panel" by Martin is great looking skin and it looks neat as default avast! 4.6 skin. I really don't see any reason to replace it with something else at this point. It's just additional work, and I'm sure that Martin has a plenty of stuff to do already... I saw some T-shirts designs, many PDF files he made, all those publicities he did for avast!... it's a lot of work.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »
I already said Martin should do it,not you.
Silver skin is fine,but it looks like audio player and many users don't like it so they go to AVG or AntiVir just because of that. If Alwil follows current design concept and colors (like splash screen design),and dump player like design,they could achieve very good results.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »
I started working on some concept design and i even have some ideas about how to create nice menus/options. But again i won't be able to complete complete sliders,buttons and widows for options menu.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »
Well, that doesn't sound like just changing of default skin, it's rather complete change of avast! UI (user interface). Making skins for avast! is pretty much limited, just because, all the time you have to be aware of SkinBuilder's limitations, but even with those limitations in mind, I managed to find some great (read weird) ways to animate certain parts of the skin.

Things that you just mentioned, sounds like playing with avast! UI, rather than just making skins. I am not sure if Alwil is ready to change complete scheme.

kamulko

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
I hope Alwil Team say:"Ok, Sasha and RejZor, now we want you as our official skin designers! How much for your work?"  ;D ;D ;D

MFB

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:31:45 AM »
The first picture is very simple enough for any level users to understand the buttons and how they work, (some skins find it hard to tell which button is which).  The Second picture seems a bit familiar.  To be honest I perfer the first picture since it seems soo simple.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 12:55:56 AM »
The Second picture seems a bit familiar.

Of course second picture is familiar... that skin is an "old" inhabitant of avast! skin section. Have you checked lately all those skins we have ?

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

(some skins find it hard to tell which button is which)

If you hover long enough with your mouse pointer over each and every button, it will tell you what is the name and purpose of that particular button.

First picture is actual screenshoot of a Low Res skin from avast! section. Everybody has that skin in his SKINS folder, it's just it's not visible from avast! skin selection inside the program. You have to visit your skins folder on your local HD and start it from there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 12:58:08 AM by /szc\ »

kamulko

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 01:16:05 AM »
Honestly, brushed skin is one of the most friendly and well done. I use it also lcars, lite-on and mclover-os: both RejZor and Sasha want "keep clean" their works, I think.

MFB

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 05:36:14 AM »
The Second picture seems a bit familiar.

Of course second picture is familiar... that skin is an "old" inhabitant of avast! skin section. Have you checked lately all those skins we have ?

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

Oh of course...silly me  :P

If you hover long enough with your mouse pointer over each and every button, it will tell you what is the name and purpose of that particular button.

First picture is actual screenshoot of a Low Res skin from avast! section. Everybody has that skin in his SKINS folder, it's just it's not visible from avast! skin selection inside the program. You have to visit your skins folder on your local HD and start it from there.

Oh thanks for the info  ;D.

Jill

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 06:34:05 AM »
Well, that doesn't sound like just changing of default skin, it's rather complete change of avast! UI (user interface). Making skins for avast! is pretty much limited, just because, all the time you have to be aware of SkinBuilder's limitations, but even with those limitations in mind, I managed to find some great (read weird) ways to animate certain parts of the skin.

Things that you just mentioned, sounds like playing with avast! UI, rather than just making skins. I am not sure if Alwil is ready to change complete scheme.

I was  reading these posts and I just want to tell you, that until Avast changes its entire interface, I will stay with AVG or another more professional looking AntiVirus .  The Interface needs a whole new default face.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 01:29:20 PM »
You could mention some other antivirus that REALLY looks professional... something like BitDefender or even Norton 2005 like RejZor mentioned. AVG has most silliest interface ever seen. Those colors are just like you are running your system in SAFE MODE, IMHO totally unprofessional. Not quite good example.

If these look unprofessional, then I don't know what are you looking for:

Although, Alwil could do something regarding choice of avast! defaul GUI. The fact and most important thing is... no one should choose antivirus product by it's look. If the most important thing to you regarding one antivirus is how it looks, than I don't think you pay full attention to your computer security. The thing is, we didn't make this antivirus looks ugly or worse, we gave people the choice to change that look... actually, we gave them many choices, so no one should complain. There are all kind of skins, so something for everyone.

Bottom line, if you don't like skins (that's your right), you can always buy Professional version of avast! and you'll have plain Windows look with ENHANCED USER INTERFACE. See here:

Also, there is an option to disable skins, so I don't really see the reason to abandon avast! just because of skins. See here (Skinless Simple User Interface):

...but telling that this is professional look... hmmm... I don't know...