Author Topic: Avast "hangs" on startup (NT4)  (Read 6848 times)

Colin

Avast "hangs" on startup (NT4)
« on: September 28, 2003, 12:09:33 AM »
Since 14h30 on 26 Sept, which I think is right after the last update, I am getting the message "One or more services failed to start" on booting up. The only other information I have is from the Event log NT provides which says :

Event ID: 7022
Source : Services COntrol Manager
Type : Error

Opening the Avast Icon says that the 5 providers are running. The Avast log shows nothing. This is happening everytime I boot. ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast "hangs" on startup (NT4)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 09:19:17 AM »
Hmm, strange.

Strange because even though you're getting this error, the service gets actually started (so it doesn't 'hang'). Otherwise, the resident protection would not work at all.

I've tried Google and it reveals a big number of issues related to various services (giving the same error message), especially on NT4. The problem seems to be that due to a heavy load on system startup, some services don't get enough time to initialize...

I'm not sure what we can do about this, though... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Colin

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 12:27:03 AM »
Hmmm - not sure this could be the problem? If I had added some services or updated some software that initialises on startup, then I would say that this is maybe a solution - but I havent. Also I would expect thst the service to fail would be a lot more random and not consistently Avast.
I am still of the opinion that there is some bug in the latest update which is causing this? Maybe some loop has been introduced which results in the Avast starup being particularly slow under NT4? Or maybe there is some connection with the other recent series of startup failures I see on the forum?
BTW when I open the Avast Icon, at the top it says Provider running - Instant Messaging, while right clicking when I put the mouse over "pause provider", it lists 5 providers? Is this right?
Colin

Colin

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 12:30:08 AM »
Oh stupid me! - of course you have to open each provider icon to see if its running! SORRY!!!!! They are all running
 ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 03:02:04 AM »
A big number of issues related to various services (giving the same error message), especially on NT4. The problem seems to be that due to a heavy load on system startup, some services don't get enough time to initialize...
I'm not sure what we can do about this, though... :-\

Hey Vlk, do you know if there is any way to configure the order (scheduling) of services startup under Windows?  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 03:15:32 AM »
Hmmm - not sure this could be the problem? If I had added some services or updated some software that initialises on startup, then I would say that this is maybe a solution - but I havent. Also I would expect thst the service to fail would be a lot more random and not consistently Avast.
Colin

Colin, I don´t know if this will help but I can control some Windows Services (I´m a XP user) doing the following:
1. Configure the Service to Manual load (not automatically)
2. Add a link to the Service (at Startup folder)
3. Use Startup Delayer 2.0 to configure the delay and order of each link at Startup Folder (and Registry) (see link to download at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new).

Look, this will work only with some services (for instance, a link to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe -service at the Startup Folder will load the TrueVector Internet Monitor, ie, the ZoneAlarm Service).  ;)
The best things in life are free.