Author Topic: Avast incompatible with Jdownloader? Downloads interrupting!  (Read 8957 times)

Draygon

Avast incompatible with Jdownloader? Downloads interrupting!
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
Hello,

I'm using Jdownloader since years for many of my downloads. Also, I'm using Avast since about 2 years.

I never had any issues with them, but since a few weeks, Avast is interrupting my downloads. Mostly those of Jdownloader, but also those of Firefox and Chrome.

If I download something with Firefox, sometimes, if the file is downloaded completely, it's getting scanned for ages. It just doesn't stop. All I'm able to do is stopping the download and redownload the file.

With Jdownloader it's even more difficult: Nearly every file doesn't get finished to download, while the network shield of avast is activated. If I just disable the network shield, there aren't any problems.

So, since I'm not able to put exceptions for the network shield, how can I fix this issue with downloads? All of them are while the network shield is on. I have this problem with a Windows 7 x64 and a Windows 8 x64 computer, both with the latest windows updates, just using Windows Firewall and avast for protection.

Help please. :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast incompatible with Jdownloader? Downloads interrupting!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »
What version of avast are you using, avast free/pro/ais ?

Well the network shield doesn't actually scan anything, so I can't understand how that can be involved in a slow down, either it would display an alert if where you were downloading the file/program from was considered malicious, otherwise it should pass through unmolested.

The web shield is what scans http traffic and that would include downloads.

Are you trying to have avast scan downloads in either firefox or jdownloader ?
If so I wouldn't bother as the web shield does that and the file system shield would also scan it, certainly when it is created (download complete) and before it is actually run.

The windows 8 may be an issue with the firewall and the network shield driver. So disabling the network shield would hopefully resolve that until the issue is resolved in a program update. This however isn't the case for win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Draygon

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
Thanks for your answer, DavidR.

I'll disable the network shield then. Will this decrease my safety?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
Marginally, but the web shield still scans the http traffic, but this would really only be needed in the windows 8 system.

Amongst those answers were a couple of questions, those answers give a better understanding of the issue and 'may' lead to other possible solutions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zbeast

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
That seems to be going on is this.
jdownloader writes it's data to disk in blocks..
Avast detects this as a new file being created locks this file then trys to scan it.
While the file is locked jdownloder can't get write access to that file and to get the error "no permission to write to disk".
The only thing you can do is turn off avast till you download is finished and then turn it back on again to scan the download
directory.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
This may be incorrect, since it is the Network Shield that is alerting, this indicates a malicious site and not an inability for jdownloader to gain access to write to the file.

An inability to gain access to write to the file wouldn't result in an avast alert and more so an alert by the network shield as this doesn't scan content, but checks the URL/domain being accessed against its malicious sites list.