Author Topic: Windows XP SP3 easy transfer files  (Read 2384 times)

adamps50

Windows XP SP3 easy transfer files
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
 Hello Folks,

I don't know if you can help me but I'm having trouble after using the windows XP SP3 easy transfer wizard!
What I did was to backup my friends computer onto memory sticks about four in total and this created a file on each stick named USMT21MG.
I then reformatted the computer and reloaded the operating system but unfortunately when I went to import the WET files back in the transfer wizard just doesn't recognise them as WET back up files, I've even tried using Migrecover and that doesn't work either.
I have since put these files on my laptop that runs windows 7 but they still won't open.
Even if I could open manually then I could just pull out what is required. I've gone on the Microsoft Forum and it seems to be a common problem but without cure.
As you can imagine it's a bit embarrassing because it's my friends data so if any really clever people have got any ideas it would be fantastic

Thanks

Adam S

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Windows XP SP3 easy transfer files
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:40 AM »
Unfortunately, due to me being slightly more technically savvy than the average Joe, I have never used windows Easy transfer, because I find it easy enough to do this myself.

However, I did look up a tidbit of information from MS's own support site that suggests to do this in stages:

USB flash drive or external hard disk

What you'll need: A USB flash drive (this requires a USB port on each computer) or an external hard disk compatible with both computers.

Start Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer (the computer to which you want to transfer files and settings), and then follow the instructions for using a USB flash drive or an external hard disk. During the transfer process, Windows Easy Transfer will estimate how much disk space is needed to transfer your selections. If you use a USB flash drive, try to use one with enough storage space for the entire transfer. If your USB flash drive isn't large enough to transfer everything at once, you can copy as many files as it will hold, transfer those files to the new computer, and then reconnect the drive to the old computer and repeat the process.

Note

To decide what method to use, consider how much you are transferring. If you're transferring everything from all users or all of your user account files, for example, an Easy Transfer Cable or a network is a good option because the transfer can take a while and you won't have to worry about having enough room for everything. If you're only transferring a few files or folders, then consider using removable media such as CDs, DVDs, or a flash drive, any of which might be as fast as using an Easy Transfer Cable or a network.

So, while your heart was in the right place, it might not have been the best way to do things.

If there were problems with the computer, I would have just connected the flash drives and copied the usual, "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, My Pictures, My Music, etc." any PST files from mail and tried to make sure that product keys and installation media were available, then do the reformat.

If there weren't any real problems with the computer, I would have probably used an imaging software to create a ghost image.

Since the computer has already been wiped, I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

You're going to need to look up info about how to get the data off of those flashdrives I guess, here's one I found from a quick google search:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

Hope this helps!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum