Author Topic: aswrvrt kills my xp pc  (Read 3349 times)

DolphinLover30

aswrvrt kills my xp pc
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »
Was recently notified to update avast and did. After rebooting it is locked at aswrvrt, which does NOT load it is the cause of the crash. A driver is properly loaded when the next in line appears on the list to load. I just want to know how to boot my pc and remove avast so it works again. Appears more software is gearing towards windows 7 and 8 and this happens to make people want to change. Avast caused this error, no intentions of fingerprinting my system for someone else to check just want to remove avast since it does not care about xp anymore. There should be a boot utility to do this without havingt to run the test.

cooby

Re: aswrvrt kills my xp pc
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:08:04 AM »
Appears more software is gearing towards windows 7 and 8
Yup, scares me too. Includes browsers.
... just want to remove avast since it does not care about xp anymore.
No, No, No.
They care, They support XP. Just take a look through this forum at signatures of people who have been here more than once and specifically those who help others.

cooby

same as before
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:49 AM »
There have been several/many reports similar to yours.
I wonder if Avast's self protection plays a role. Perhaps Avast doesn't turn if off as they update the engine, and it then fails at booting. Pure speculation on my part.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:14:45 AM by cooby »

DolphinLover30

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
Well it gets worse. my laptop is a 2001 gateway model, in bios it is set to boot cd first but does not. I even disabled all other boot methods and still no go. The cd reads as good in my backup pc from here but does not boot up on the laptop. maybe I need an apricorn adapter and just salvage my files. I do need to upgrade to a dual core someday soon anyway.

=== EDIT=== O.K. I cleaned the cd drive lens and it loaded. Now the even worse part again is it only recognizes itself as an operating system, nothing at all about windows XP being on here just 75 GB of unformatted space. no drives other than the cd drive. opened up folders on the "desktop" and they froze never going anywhere. Looks like fubar as I am getting tired of this dinosaur pc always giving problems. Just have to cough up cash for an adapter or cough up cash and a kidney for a professional recovery of my files.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:17:59 PM by DolphinLover30 »

DolphinLover30

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »
Wow I see several of the Avast gurus have been posting on here today yet no response to this thread as a why or how. Admission of guilt for the program? Even no responses from microsoft on how to get past the problem in any way. Just feel like I am getting the "oh well sucks to be you" from both companies.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
There are many reasons for this and to date none have been pinned down as to the prime reason

As you are now unable to access your windows drive I would suspect hard drive failure

ram1220

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
 As a computer builder/repair person I also think the OP has a hardware failure. I doubt Avast caused his problem.

DolphinLover30

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »
New update is hdd not dead motherboard is damaged making the hd not show. I just need an ide to usb to connect to a new pc when I get one.