Author Topic: New skin is coming (Silhouette_4in1)...  (Read 122917 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: New skin is coming...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 01:08:47 AM »
Suggestion:

Don't put all the letters in uppercase in the information section... ;)

No problem with that... that's another thing we can not control. It's hardcoded in avast! program code, so don't worry, it will always be in small letters. That's just how I made my screenshot... btw, to avoid future confusion, I just redesigned preview picture... (check first post in this thread again...)

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

kamulko

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 01:14:05 AM »
Great work, Sasha! My little suggestion concerns the 3 button at the top right side: is it possible to make its a little more larger? What do you think about an orange border around for make its more visible? The last doubt is about the shield... is a fine object but the rounded border and the " flou" view are not exactly the better thing in this squared shape. Is only my opinion. No doubt: is a very elegant skin the same and I wait for the download!!!  ;D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 01:22:49 AM »
Those 3 buttons are also from avast official web site, so I wouldn't touch them since they are not primary buttons on the screen. Also, orange outline doesn't quite fit good considering that background contains blueish-grey shades. Those buttons will change the color when you hover over them. I don't think that I should change anything regarding colors right now, since everything looks pretty clean at this point.

Also, regarding logo... there is nothing much that can be done. See official web site and you'll notice that logo fits on that web site exactly as it fits in this skin. Everything is sharp-edged, and logo is logo... you can not redesign logo already designed by avast! official graphic designer Martin Novak. I'm just trying to make skin based on the web site...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 01:24:29 AM by /szc\ »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

kamulko

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 01:32:17 AM »
Yes, I understand your idea and how is difficult to work with this little margins of action. I confirm what I said first: I'm ready to download this skin even if it remains the same... but I see: yuo are nearly the PERFECTION!!!  :D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 01:42:38 AM »
No problem Kamulko, I like to hear everybody's opinions before I release any of my skins. If it's something that shouldn't or can not be changed, I always try to give explanation. Many of my skins contains changes that are affected by opinions that I've got from avast! users and forum members. That's the only way, I can release skin without doubting that there is still something that avast! users won't like...

I also noticed that you suggested some color changes for RejZor's new skin in this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13178.msg111121#msg111121

Don't you think that those colors are little bit too bright (orange, yellow and blue in the background), especially considering that RejZor wants to make professional styled skin ? Maybe we should stick to nice calm colors... orange is wonderful color and it blends perfectly with brown and some shades of grey. Since it's part of the avast! official web site (but also, not too much of orange... as we all can see, there is just few very small parts coloured in orange), I've decided to make one skin exactly with those colors... I believe everything will be OK at the end when we see completely finished product...

Cheers !

kamulko

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 01:57:39 AM »
Good work! I like very much your style: a mix of ultra-modern and soften effects. I see the evolution in your graphics. Also in your website I see it. It's a long way for the artist in search of the definitive inspiration. I know: you have good legs for this road. Ciao/Bye  ;)

Hopismum

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 03:13:26 AM »
szc..    I like it..  think it looks very proffessional.. super job...

For your next project could ya come up with a new look for the simple user interface?   That iis soooooo easy for the novice user
to understand and use.  (Much easier in my humble opinion then all the other skins out there)     Would love to see it have just abit
more of that Avast look to it without losing the ease of use.      For instance,  I installed Avast on a friends system  and sat her in
front of it and had her do a scan without my telling her what to do.    She was able to do it very simply.      For those of us who
are used to where things are,  and how they work,   the skins that are available now are fine..   WE know them.  But we do also
need to realize there are many people who really fumble around and find them abit confusing.     I'll confess that I use it myself,
after using a few of yours, and one of Rejzors, and only switched back to it cuz I just found its quicker.     

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 03:23:01 AM »

For your next project could ya come up with a new look for the simple user interface?

When you say Simple User Interface, I think you mean non-skinning interface, because this one that uses skins is also Simple User Interface... differs from Enhanced User interface. That Simple user interface (the one that you have in mind) is accessible only when you don't use skins, therefore there is no skinning option in Simple User Interface. All we can do with SkinBuilder is make skins for this skinable part of avast!.

Hopismum

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »

For your next project could ya come up with a new look for the simple user interface?

When you say Simple User Interface, I think you mean non-skinning interface, because this one that uses skins is also Simple User Interface... differs from Enhanced User interface. That Simple user interface (the one that you have in mind) is accessible only when you don't use skins, therefore there is no skinning option in Simple User Interface. All we can do with SkinBuilder is make skins for this skinable part of avast!.

Sasha...   oh dear   *thumps self on head*    I probably worded it badly.    Yes I do realize its not really a  "skin"      But could you make a skin that is as simple to use, organized as this one is,  but has a look something along the lines of what you are working on now..    Is this a little clearer?   lol

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 03:59:29 AM »
Well, since skins are not supported by that interface, I really don't see how could I make something like that for that particular interface... except... maybe, make it not for that interface, but for skinning interface. Then we have another problem... options in non-skining interface are completely different, actually they are exactly the same, but the way they are presented is completely different. I can make a skin, for existing scheme of options and commands, but I can not rearange options. As we all can see, simple interface (non-skinable one) has different scheme of options. In SkinBuilder, I can make just buttons for those that we see in skinable interfaces. I can not put Scan CD/DVD option direct on skin. Alwil guys are those who have "keys" for code, not skin designers. Sorry...  :-\

Hopismum

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 04:04:38 AM »
yep I meant for skinning interface and awhhhhhhh well..   You explained that well and I now understand why the skins all are setup as they are..

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 12:06:30 PM »
Sasha,will you make sensitivity sliders teh same width as Menu bar?
Something like this:

Try to make them same width,so they will look like it's integrated there and not floating.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2005, 12:36:08 PM »
No, actually, this is what I had in mind RejZor...

I know that area reserved for those sliding panels is little bit wider than those panels, but I didn't want to make everything look stiffed or to crowded... I don't know.. I can try to make that area smaller and that way to fit those panels (little bit wider actually).

However, I can make those sliders wider like on your screenshoot, but IMHO they don't look too pretty that way, and also our goal is always to make skin as small as possible just because all those users that still use low resolutions like 800x600 pixels. Also Folder Selection (see your screenshoot) doesn't have (and never had) sliding panel or slider.

Cheers !

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »
Hm,i'd still go with same width of these slider boxes as Menu bar above. And also remove the frame(outisede edge,make it transparent) from these slider boxes and make that dotted rectangle isnide slider boxes transprent too (or remove it).

But on the other hand i'd make the Menu bar a bit shorter and do the same design trick as mentioned few lines above (same width as this new shortened Menu bar).

I don't know,i never really liked that stuff floats around. It's better that it looks like its on tracks or that it's attached to some area.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »
I'm not sure, but when I see how it looks now (resized to the edges), it doesn't look too good. Too much useless space on both sides of the sliders... On my previous screenshot it looks a bit cleaner. I think, I'll just go with shrinking that area where panels should show. As I said before, I don't wanna make everything look too crowded. Dotted line will be removed, but brown outline in those sliding panels must stay. EDIT: or, maybe I'll remove that one too, I have to check few things first...

Animation of those sliders will be simple in this one... or something like avast! Brushed, or completely without animation (or as less movement as possible)...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 01:39:33 PM by /szc\ »