Author Topic: New skin is coming (Silhouette_4in1)...  (Read 123305 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: New skin is coming...
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2005, 05:18:10 PM »
Ok, then how about a skin that has some consistency with the On Access Control Panel

That's not hard to do... although there is already skin like that... RejZor Sharp is based on "normal" Windows appearance. There is not much that can be done regarding that I'm affraid... except maybe to make those buttons exactly as those used in Windows OS... but again... I couldn't possibly know which Visual Style every particular person is using, so always, those two things will be different...

EDIT: skins are fixed, so once you make them, everytime you use them, they will look exactly the same... on the other hand, On-Access Scanner follows Windows theme, actually Visual Style that you are using right now, and it's not fixed... you can change appearance of On-Access Scanner Window every single time you change Visual Style of Windows...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:21:40 PM by /szc\ »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hopismum

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2005, 05:28:36 PM »
pssst Sasha...    typo alert  :)     Change Curent to Current   :)

I like how it is coming along ...    Rejzor was correct.. it looks so much better as it is now.    Keep up the good work .. this ones great

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2005, 05:32:10 PM »
I like the look, nice clean lines, reducing the width of the Program MENU column has given extra width to the details area.

I'm not convinced on the text balance of MENU being in Upper Case perhaps being in InitCaps 'Program Menu' would be better balanced?

I know the iAVS is an avast term but for many totally unknown, we have used VPS a lot in the forums, should we use this or try to find something more understandable?

The ordering of the three buttons at the bottom, perhaps, Local Disks, Folder Selection and Removable Media. This is in order Greater to lessor (or fixed and removable) HDDs, Folders (still on the HDD) and finally removable media.
I did like the previous suggestion of a single button On Demand Scan with the three options (this would probably be more difficult) but it woud allow room to the right for the Stop/Resume button when the scan has been started.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 05:44:49 PM »
pssst Sasha...    typo alert  :)     Change Curent to Current   :)

I like how it is coming along ...    Rejzor was correct.. it looks so much better as it is now.    Keep up the good work .. this ones great

Thanks Connie for the heads up... don't worry, it's just on screenshoot preview, I can not control those information or how they will be presented, except of course the font and the size of the font. Those information are hardcoded into avast! code...

EDIT: I just fixed that typo on screenshot as well... thanks again !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:46:55 PM by /szc\ »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hopismum

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
oh I realize its only a screenshot  :)    but didn't realize that part of it is hardcoded so my pssst was not needed.. oops   lol     

Looks super..    I do agree with David that  MENU looks abit out of place being all caps,   and also I have always thought that iAVS is abit confusing for some  people,  but you do need to keep with the Avast terminology

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 05:56:09 PM »
I like the look, nice clean lines, reducing the width of the Program MENU column has given extra width to the details area.

Thanks David.

I'm not convinced on the text balance of MENU being in Upper Case perhaps being in InitCaps 'Program Menu' would be better balanced?

I'm changing it right now... thanks for pointing that... it's just I thought, if I write just like this: Program Menu, it could look like that area where sliding panels are suppose to show, will be reserved for some kind of menu or something... by writting those letters in caps, I though I could point that it's actual MENU button... I don't know, but anyway, I'll change that...

I know the iAVS is an avast term but for many totally unknown, we have used VPS a lot in the forums, should we use this or try to find something more understandable?

I agree, and what should we put instead of that one ? Perhaps Update Virus DB ? That could look nice...

The ordering of the three buttons at the bottom, perhaps, Local Disks, Folder Selection and Removable Media. This is in order Greater to lessor (or fixed and removable) HDDs, Folders (still on the HDD) and finally removable media.

Sorry David, I think I lost you here... can you tell what order do you think would be good to use ? From the left to the right, please... thanks !

I did like the previous suggestion of a single button On Demand Scan with the three options (this would probably be more difficult) but it woud allow room to the right for the Stop/Resume button when the scan has been started.

Too bad, too much work to do, and I'm not even sure can we control that from SkinBuilder... need to talk to someone from Alwil first...

Cheers !

Hopismum

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 05:59:14 PM »
Update Virus DB would be sooooooo much clearer...       

er can Program Menu be changed to Settings?       That might stop the confusion you mentioned and make it absolutely clear why its there?   

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 06:15:07 PM »
Yes, I also though this could work Connie, but there is one small problem... when you press MENU button, there is already another SETTINGS submenu. I don't know, but maybe it would be better if we can keep it separate... what do you think ? Thanks !

Sasha

Still, don't get it... what David meant, what would be better order for those buttons at the bottom (Local disks, Removable Media and Folder selection) ? Maybe someone else understood him better than I did... please help !!!  ;D  ;D  ;D I want to work on this one, and I can not do much untill I find out what order should I use...

EDIT: No problems I just figured it out... stupid me... he already wrote that order in his reply... heh, I just need to read a bit more careful I guess...

Hopismum

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 06:17:35 PM »
I think he meant left to right and in this order:  Local Disks, Folder Selection and Removable Media  and that makes good sense

edit:  oops forgot to respond to your other question ..   about the Menu option..  yeah keep it as it is
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 06:19:50 PM by connie »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2005, 08:23:25 PM »
EDIT: No problems I just figured it out... stupid me... he already wrote that order in his reply... heh, I just need to read a bit more careful I guess...
I didn't explain it well, I should have shown the existing order (left to right) them my proposed order, rather than only showing my proposed order.

Yes, I also though this could work Connie, but there is one small problem... when you press MENU button, there is already another SETTINGS submenu. I don't know, but maybe it would be better if we can keep it separate... what do you think ? Thanks !
I think your right about not calling it Program Settings as this is an entirely different listing and one that is available from the right click menu of the avast icon. So this could cause confusion.

Too bad, too much work to do, and I'm not even sure can we control that from SkinBuilder... need to talk to someone from Alwil first...
I bow to your greater knowledge of what can or can't be achieved with the skinning elements and even if the skin remains as it is at the moment, it will be much better.
But if it is at all possible, 'On Demand Scan' or something similar may be more meaningful to an inexperienced user than, 'Local Disk', 'Folder Selection' or 'Removable Media' as none of those are immediately apparent that you want to scan them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:30:06 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hopismum

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2005, 08:52:42 PM »

But if it is at all possible, 'On Demand Scan' or something similar may be more meaningful to an inexperienced user than, 'Local Disk', 'Folder Selection' or 'Removable Media' as none of those are immediately apparent that you want to scan them.

David,    not to quibble  :)   but I do wonder if even On Demand Scan is not immediately apparent to inexperienced users as well.   WE know what it means,  ya know?    But I dont (and I could be wrong)  think those not used to Avast know what it means.    Im thinking something like "Scanning Options"   (and thats not even quite right)  would be helpful.    At the moment I cannot come up with the exact wording for what Im thinking.

kamulko

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »
Maybe "scan mode"?... I'm not sure...  :) I'm seeing with great interest your conversation about this important aspect of interface. Very very important.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:57:45 PM by Kamulko! »

kamulko

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »
Most of people don't understand really how much is important the choose of the words and there's a lot of applications less clear than arab!

Hopismum

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 09:05:20 PM »
very true Kalmuko...    I help out a few friends around my town with their computers,  and they lead me to friends of theirs.  Many times Ive come across people who don't even USE an antivirus program at all.    I explain the importance to them and they tell me that they want to put something on their systems but they want it SIMPLE and easy to understand.   Very clear, and to the point.    If they do not know what something means,   they most often are afraid to click on it.     Im not.    I'll click on anything in a program to see what it does, how it works, and want to understand it all.    Not everyone does that however.     I just think its important to be careful how things are worded so its easy for all to use.     For me..  I want simple and quick and do not need all the bells and whistles.   I dont want to have to click in 3 places before I can even run a scan.    I suppose that is why I went back to useing the Simple User Interface.    For those who like bells and whistles and all the other stuff...  cool for them..    and being able to change skins gives them that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 09:19:57 PM »
David,    not to quibble but I do wonder if even On Demand Scan is not immediately apparent to inexperienced users as well.   WE know what it means,  ya know?    But I dont (and I could be wrong)  think those not used to Avast know what it means.    Im thinking something like "Scanning Options"   (and thats not even quite right)  would be helpful.    At the moment I cannot come up with the exact wording for what Im thinking.

I totally agree that is why I put the qualification 'or something similar' I like 'Scanning Options' but remember the context I was using it, "if we were able to replace the three buttons with one button and three options then being given." I suppose we could have the Scanning Options (or whatever text was deemed appropriate) as text centred above the three buttons.