Author Topic: Screensaver needs to broadcast packets?  (Read 4201 times)

lespea

Screensaver needs to broadcast packets?
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:20:06 AM »
I came back to my computer after the avast screen saver had been running for a while and I was quite surprised to see that that sygate (firewall) had caught some packets that avastss.scr (avast screensaver) was trying to send to 224.0.0.22 and I am quite curious as to why it would need to send anything.  The only meaningful thing pulled out of the hex was SUBSCRIBE /Lay so I don't know if it is an anti-crack thing or something checking to verify it's register or something.  Anyways I'm going to block it until I know more information, if any of you know anything about this, as I couldn't google any good info.  Thanks in advanced to anybody who knows what this's for.

Adam

lespea

Re: Screensaver needs to broadcast packets?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:43:23 PM »
So none of the devs know why it needs to broadcast?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:26:09 PM »
I don't think the screensaver needs, or even should, send anything out.
Are you sure it's really the screensaver process? (could it be e.g. some hook loaded into the process?)

lespea

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:44:17 PM »
Hmm not sure, in retrospect I probably should have saved my firewall log for future reference :/.  I've only seen it once and when it did come up I just looked at the IP and process broadcasting.  Next time it comes up I'll post an update, I just initially thought it was some sort of update thing or something maybe, or like I said before checking to make sure it was registered or something.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:45:56 PM »
I just initially thought it was some sort of update thing or something maybe, or like I said before checking to make sure it was registered or something.
While updating yes, avast! will connect (even to check against piracy)
But the screensaver module? In fact, I have never seen this in my firewall.

Some packets that avastss.scr (avast screensaver) was trying to send to 224.0.0.22 and I am quite curious as to why it would need to send anything.
Which is your screensaver (set into avast screensaver module)?
Some screensavers send packets...
The best things in life are free.

neiby

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 04:36:44 AM »
224.0.0.22 is not a broadcast address, it is a multicast address. It is an address used by IGMP, or Internet Group Management Protocol. Some process on your machine is trying to join a multicast group and is sending an IGMP report to the address to which all IGMP-capable routers must listen.

I have no idea why Avast screensaver would be participating in IGMP. It's most likely something else.

John

lespea

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:44:10 PM »
I have just the defualt xp pic slideshow as my screensaver combined with the avast screensaver.  Yeah I guess I should have realized that it was a multicast address, perhaps I should pay more attention in my networking class :/ lol.  Still kinda wondering why it was sending it though, but like I said it only happened once and I was just kinda taken back by it and posted here... without saving the log :(... so maybe I mis-read it or something.