Author Topic: Windows Indexing Service and Avast  (Read 5140 times)

DHM100

Windows Indexing Service and Avast
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:54:33 AM »
Avast keeps scanning because Windows Indexing Service keeps coming on every few seconds.  Is there a way to turn off the Indexing Service permanently?  If I turn off the service, Avast stops scanning so I know the problem is Indexing.
Thanks!
Dean

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Windows Indexing Service and Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »
If you wish to disable the Indexing Service and you are a Windows XP user then

Control Panel > Aministrative Tools > Services

locate:

Indexing Service

and right click on it, select Properties from the menu and change "Startup Type" to Disabled in the drop down menu. 

Click "OK" all the way out.  After you restart your system the Indexing Service will not restart.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »
Avast contains some extra code to ignore file accesses from the Windows indexing service. Are you sure it's this service that's triggering the scan?

Thanks Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 11:19:03 PM »
Windows Indexing Service is probably the biggest waste of CPU time without any real benefit since the MS Office indexing tool.

For the average user you don't need it, Alan's suggestion to disable the service is good advice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DHM100

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:57:18 AM »
I went in and did what you wrote and stopped Windows Indexing Service and Avast stopped scanning every few seconds.  I have to say it is interesting!  Any further thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. ???
Also the computer seems to be running faster.

Thanks!
Dean

Avast contains some extra code to ignore file accesses from the Windows indexing service. Are you sure it's this service that's triggering the scan?

Thanks Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:01:49 AM »
Vlk, seems it's not working...  ::)
The best things in life are free.