Author Topic: (Solved) Shutdown Problem  (Read 3727 times)

kikilink333

(Solved) Shutdown Problem
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Hello
We have 2 labs of windows XP machines that we put avast on.  The problem has come up that every Monday morning the machines still say windows is shutting down.  We have Symantec Ghost and have them shutdown daily.  That seems to work.  We also have Ghost wake them up on Saturday to do an inventory and have Avast scan the computer then ghost shuts them down later that day.  Ghost says in the log that these tasks on Saturday went fine but when I check the event log it doesn't even say the computer turned on.  All of this was previously working and the only change was from Symantec Endpoint Protection over to Avast a several weeks ago for one lab and a week ago for the second lab. I've checked the avast reports and don't see anything being blocked a few things show up from the server but say they are allowed because they are trusted.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Kyle
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:42:43 AM by kikilink333 »

kikilink333

Re: Shutdown Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
So it turned out something with Avast was holding onto the page file.  Setting a windows policy to clear the page file on shutdown fixed the problem.

striped13ball

Re: (Solved) Shutdown Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
I have seen the shutdown problem as well.  I was wondering however I have login problems as well same type of deal - just get the spinning wheel or "waiting" and it never logs in.  My solution has been log in as local admin, remove avast and redeploy it.  I was under the assumption since its very sporadic that it might be windows updates butting heads with Avast.