Author Topic: Laptops only boot when hardwired  (Read 3099 times)

REDACTED

Laptops only boot when hardwired
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
I ran ghost on our district mobile labs, without Avast! on the image without problem. I ran the Avast! install after connecting the laptops to the domain both through the console and through an individual deployment package. All of the laptops are Dells and have 32 bit Win 7 Pro as the OS. I tested the system both with a domain admin account and a student account. Both accounts worked fine. I did not  test from a cold boot. Now from a cold boot the systems will freeze at the log on screen or  hang after logging in at the "please wait" screen if the units connect through our wireless network. They will boot in save mode and will boot fine after Avast! is removed. When a network cable is plugged in, the laptops will boot, but take about five minutes to go from "please wait" to the desktop. I do have Avast! set to start after other services because without this roughly 10% of our desktop computers will demonstrate the hang at log on problem.
I can't leave our laptops without virus protection any suggestions would be appreciated. 

striped13ball

Re: Laptops only boot when hardwired
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
I am having this same exact problem in every site I have avast deployed.  Fortunately it is only a random few computers at a time but it is still a major hassle.  Have you discovered a fix for this??

REDACTED

Re: Laptops only boot when hardwired
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
I found that I need to ghost through the wired network, and then install Avast! through the WAP that the laptop will use. I'm still running into the "Welcome" hang with both wired and wireless units everyday. There is no common thread except that the machines are Win 7 32 bit. I have several machines that will work fine for a few days and with multiple students and then show the hang issue again. I have a few teacher machines that hang every time the computer boots. After fighting with those machines everyday for two weeks, I have gone to another solution for those machines.

I do have load avast after other services selected, and this reduced our hangs by about 50%. We still have 10-15 computers a day out of 700+ hang and have to have Avast! uninstalled and reinstalled each day.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:30:03 PM by przekopj@hesp.net »