Author Topic: cannot update  (Read 12147 times)

blu101

cannot update
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
i just downloaded and installed the avast free anti-virus on a windows 7x64 pc.
i had the avast security suite on this pc but let it expire on august 12 since i’m getting a new computer.
when the security suite subscription ran out it stopped updating virus protection so i decided to switch to the free anti-virus program to keep updated.
installed the free version 8.0.1489 but cannot update.
its current version engine/definitions is set at 130509-0
when i try to do it manually it starts but then it says
"connection terminated, retrying... http--
i let it keep trying for 7 hours and it just continues like that with no completion.
 finally saying package is broken.
also cant register the product.
tried twice uninstalling and using avast aswclear.exe in safe mode and re-installing twice but same problem.
also turned off my firewall to see if that may be causing the problem but same result.
now i also have avast free anti-virus on an xpsp3 computer for about a year and that is receiving updates just fine including this morning.
is this a problem with my computer or my version of avast anti-virus or is this a problem with avast at their end?
thnx.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: cannot update
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
What is your operating system and firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Try this for the package is broken error - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 96.6 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marbar01

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
I have a similar problem. I had(have)Avast free version on my laptop which I didn´t use for several month. Now when I opened the machine and tried to update the whole program (or only virus defence file), it says that this program cannot be installed on Windows server. I don´t have Windows server, I have:

Käyttöjärjestelmä   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Versio   6.1.7600 Koontikäännös 7600

So, the question: Why I suddenly can´t update definitions or the whole software? Even when I try to download new version of the program, it says the same.. cannot instal on Windows server...

blu101

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »
What is your operating system and firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Try this for the package is broken error - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 96.6 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

i am using a windows 7x64 pc.
i had the avast internet security suite installed so the firewall was included.
i installed zone alarm after the avast subscription ran out and after i installed the avast free anti-virus.
i have tried letting the avast free anti-virus update and also registering it with the firewall shut down but no difference.
thank you for the link to the manual download.
i will try that next. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:10 AM »
Ensure ZA allows avast.setup as mentioned (and remove the entry if it has) as it has form for blocking, despite a process being allowed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blu101

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »

ok i downloaded the manual download and it installed.
but-
i am still unable to register.
the current version date is now 130814-01
and auto update seems to be downloading.

a repair dialog just opened and asked me if i wanted to repair avast.
i clicked yes.
a dialog message just opened that reads:
"avast!4 is probably not yet installed or installation is broken.
download full install package and reinstall.

blu101

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
this morning i booted up my computer and went away from it while it booted.
when i returned, windows was performing a boot repair.
when the desktop booted up, avast anti-virus was not running.
i'm going to redownload the anti-virus program and try another clean install.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
Quote from: blu101
"avast!4 is probably not yet installed or installation is broken.
download full install package and reinstall."

This bit concerns me as it shouldn't be detecting avast!4, have you ever had avast!4 or other version installed before ?

It is probably best to do a clean reinstall including the removal of possible earlier versions.
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1489 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 4.x (to try and remove any confusion/corruption relating to avast4), then for any other avast versions if previously installed and finally for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: The default install location for avast is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast (avast 5, 6, 7, and 8 ). The default install location for avast!4 is C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4.

blu101

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
the only avast i've had on this windows 7x64 home premium computer was v7 security suite.
it auto-updated to 8 when 8 was released.
when the subscription ran out, the only thing working was the firewall.
the anti-virus, shields and sandbox were no longer functional.
i had my original download of free anti-virus that i had on my xp-sp3 computer saved on flash drive.
i installed that on the windows 7 figuring it would upload to v8 faster.
i didnt uninstall the security suite since it was only a firewall.
i thought both would run separately.
the v7 free anti-virus wrote over the remaining security suite and eliminated that program.
the v7free anti-virus didnt update so i then used the aswclear to uninstall everything and downloaded the v8 free anti-virus and installed it and have been having problems since.
when i use aswclear it doesnt show v8 of anything. it goes up to v7.
it goes from v4 home/pro, to avast to v7, to avast business protection.
and none of these list the avast folder as being in 'c:program files x86' just in 'c:program files'.
also it wasnt removing avast sandbox folder until i specifically chose it.

i've removed my zone alarm firewall and will just use windows firewall while i redownload everything and give it another try.
is there another newer version of the aswclear uninstaller somewhere?
i used the one on http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility.

blu101

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
ok now i just redownloaded the aswclear and installed it and used it and it listed v8.
so at least i'm moving forward here. lol.
on to redownload the anti-virus program again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
You really should have downloaded avast 8 before starting this procedure (as outlined in the instructions), that way you aren't going on-line without an anti-virus installed.

I always save a copy the latest downloaded installation file, so essentially you don't have to go on-line unprotected.

blu101

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »
You really should have downloaded avast 8 before starting this procedure (as outlined in the instructions), that way you aren't going on-line without an anti-virus installed.

I always save a copy the latest downloaded installation file, so essentially you don't have to go on-line unprotected.

i am not online with that computer, i'm using a different computer.
only after i've installed the avast free anti-virus do i go online with it to update it.

i just allowed a fresh install to update continually for over 12 hours and the "current version" on the maintenance tab page still reads 130509
even though the "latest update received" time stamp is continually current.
also still unable to register it.
i might try to do a computer restore back a week and see if its possible to restart this whole process over from scratch.

blu101

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
update-
i restored my pc back a week and the avast security suite is back however the subscription is done and its not working as such.
as before, the firewall works, the anti-virus doesnt update.
i click on the renew now button and it does the processing... wheel turn and then nothing. i cant figure out what is causing it.
the update process says its receiving current updates continually but the definitions date reads 130809-1 and doesnt change.
i'm thinking i will try one more uninstall of the security suite and re-install of the free anti-virus.

arvinder

Problem Occur
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
Good Morning Sir,
Avast antivirus did,nt show automatically update,  I always update manually. So plz tell me what's problem that, I repair, uninstall Product and install but problem is same. In the previous time antivirus is OK. And then Problem occur.

blu101

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »
^ wish i could help. hopefully someone can.

update- i uninstalled avast security suite with aswclear, installed the avast free anti-virus again, was still unable to register via register now button.
tried the register by email option and it worked.
now waiting to see if updates currently downloading will be actually be downloaded and installed.