Author Topic: AMS 3.0.5994 - not fully operational  (Read 5316 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
AMS 3.0.5994 - not fully operational
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »
I use avast! Mobile Security on my Chinese tablet DIGMA iDs10 and the program worked fine when it was version 2. Today I downloaded AMS v3.0.5994 and installed it as free. During the installation it asked me to install some Google services but my tablet is not compatible with Google Market. I clicked to install them but, of course, nothing was installed.

The installation of AMS continued and then I opened the main window. The first thing I saw was the big yellow button. It says: "Unknown". If my avast! is in free version, I would like to see a button (not yellow which is a sign of some security risk) that says something like "Freeware".

Then I discovered that I can't initialize the firewall. When I tried to put it on, the checkbox remained unchecked. At the same time a pop-up appeared but I can't read it, because it immediately disappeared. So the firewall isn't functioning now, though it was functioning in version 2 and my tablet is rooted.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: AMS 3.0.5994 - not fully operational
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
We'll take a look at how to improve the experience when Google Play Services are not available :)

Filip

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
So, you mean that the firewall isn't available anymore without Google?  :o

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
I am an atheist but I am ready now to believe in miracles! This evening I started my tablet and opened avast. Suddenly I saw the note that I need to install Google services. Mechanically I clicked the button to install and nothing happened (as usual). Then I tried to switch the firewall on and again nothing happened. I felt upset and continued to try to put it on. First, second, third... I already stopped counting when I saw a pop-up: "The firewall rules were successfully deleted". And suddenly ... I saw that the checkbox is checked and the firewall is on! I hardly believed my eyes! Then I made some firewall customization and it's still working. What has happened? Was it a glitch or a bug?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:03:47 PM by George Yves »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
Nope, I was talking about the button :) Firewall should work normally, if it continues to misbehave, I suggest you start a separate topic about that :)

Filip

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »
Do you still have the Unknown button now?

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Do you still have the Unknown button now?
Yes, I do. And every time when I tap it, a pop-up appears saying that I need to install Google services. I add the screenshot.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:46:58 PM by George Yves »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
I just installed version 3.0.6018 over 3.0.5994: it's still prompting me to install Google services. :(

OT: I have the impression that the cooperation of Avast with Google causes considerable resentment on the part of users. Since the beginning there were complaints that they were practically forced to install unneeded Google Chrome browser. Then there were complaints that Avast actually transmits user information to Google through Google Analytics service. And now there are complaints that AMS actually imposes on its users to install Google services, which they have long been removed from their devices.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
Yeah, it will for now. We didn't change that yet and it might take some time.

I didn't hear about Google Play Services being removed from devices. Source? Or you just uninstalled them because you wanted to?

Filip

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
I didn't hear about Google Play Services being removed from devices. Source? Or you just uninstalled them because you wanted to?
As my tablet doesn't support Google Play, I visit the forum at 4pda.ru to download APK files. The topic about AMS is here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=289024

First I read this message: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=289024&view=findpost&p=24285830
Translation into English:
The new version required to install Google Play (Google+, advertising and other strays) that a month ago I gladly took down - as if it can't work without them. What a Masonic conspiracy, eh! I fell for the ruse and installed them. Tomorrow I'll take them down once more and will see if it works.
A bit later the user added: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=289024&view=findpost&p=24311915
I demolished the services as intended. Then I updated the bases, scanned my applications, looked into my Anti-Theft settings - everything works, Google Play services are no longer required. It was a single Google's PR action, I suppose.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
Well, I personally don't use any of the Google Play Services API in my code, but I think that at the moment, the feature that requires Google Play Service correctly is geofencing and I have a feeling that the premium purchases as well. But someone else might tell you more/something different cause as I said, I don't use that APIs at the moment.

Filip

reinhardholzner

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
Backup is also using it for user authentication.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »
Backup is also using it for user authentication.
I don't use this feature.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
then you can ignore the warning message.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
then you can ignore the warning message.
As for me I know the origin of this message and I can ignore it. But then, just imagine anger and resentment of other users, who has devices without connection to Google services.