Author Topic: avast doesn't delete viruses automatically  (Read 6435 times)

rayx

avast doesn't delete viruses automatically
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »
Hi,

First of all, I want to tell you avast is great!

But I got a little problem with incoming mails:

I 've got Outlook xp and avast  4.6 home (version 4.6.603).  In the on-access scanner's preferences, I have switched   to "Silent Mode" (general answer "no") in the "Internet Mail" section.  In the section "Outlook/Exchange", I switched on "kill incoming viruses immediately".

But avast dosn't kill those infected mails. It just tells me, when it detects an infected mail but it does not delete it. 

What's wrong?

bye
Ray

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: avast doesn't delete viruses automatically
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 03:33:25 PM »
What's wrong?
Most likely your settings. Do you have "discard it unconditionally" checked as well as "silent mode"?

I suggest you read the help file for the correct settings.

I-Vladimir

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 01:00:03 AM »
I suggest you read the help file for the correct settings.
Hi there,
I don't beleive that is correct settings issue. I did test in all silent etc modes, no result. Probably this is a free version feature. If I am wrong, can anybody provide settings required?

Thanks in advance

Vladimir

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:10:19 AM »
Seems like a confusion of the providers.
The "Internet Mail" provider is for Outlook Express (and other non-Outlook clients).
The "Outlook/Exchange" provider is for full MS Outlook. So, you should turn on the "Silent mode" for this provider (it's on the "Advanced" page).

I-Vladimir

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:30:19 PM »
Seems like a confusion of the providers.
Hi,
I tried Outlook2003 with Outlook/Exchange plugin advanced settings, not a confusion for me  :)

Vladimir

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 03:50:12 PM »
Sorry, I was answering to the first post, didn't notice there were 2 posters in this thread.

So, you checked the option called
Silent mode (moves infected files to Chest)
and you still got the avast! virus dialog when you received an infected message? Or, did you read a message stored in your mailbox already?

I-Vladimir

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 04:45:27 PM »
Hi Igor,
Avast displayed me virus dialog even with Silent mode been set both for the Access Scanner and Outlook plugin.
Web shield worked fine, it just displayed me "blue messages" at the screen bottom when I tried to access an infected page. No complains for this service.

Thanks,
Vladimir

DentArthurDent

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:16:52 AM »
I also wanted to change my avast! settings to silent mode (move to chest).  But I still get the popup dialog everytime an incoming email has a virus attached.  I tried a variety of settings changes, including rebooting with silent mode for every resident service and still it pops-up messages everytime.

I noticed this post is rather old and does not appear to have been resolved.  Any update?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:42:31 AM »
I noticed this post is rather old and does not appear to have been resolved.  Any update?
In fact this is not a problem: you're using the Home (free) version.
The Professional version deals with it (automatic actions) without trouble.
Did you browse the avast4.ini file for any other possible tweak for your installation?
See 'Settings' in my signature  ;)
The best things in life are free.

DentArthurDent

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:23:37 AM »
No tweaks have been done.  The only changes made to my configuration have been done via the GUI interfaces.

So what you're saying is that the Silent Mode option does nothing in the Free edition?

If this is the case, then why give users the option to check it? ??? 

If a feature is limited to the Professional edition then don't let users waste time trying to get their software to do something it won't do.  The option should be greyed and disabled for the Free version and the documentation should reflect that the feature is not available.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 02:48:30 AM »
No tweaks have been done.  The only changes made to my configuration have been done via the GUI interfaces.
I'm not saying that you have done but that you could done them now.

So what you're saying is that the Silent Mode option does nothing in the Free edition?
No. I'm saying the Silent Mode does exactly this, send the file to Chest if you use the answer 'No' by default.
This works for on-access scanning. For on demand, if I'm not wrong, you'll have the virus alert each time (Home version)

If this is the case, then why give users the option to check it? ??? 
As I say, avast! is not a joke. It does perfectly what it's projected to do.

If a feature is limited to the Professional edition then don't let users waste time trying to get their software to do something it won't do.  The option should be greyed and disabled for the Free version and the documentation should reflect that the feature is not available.
The Help file tells this, and we're not wasting your time, we're using our time as we, like you, are avast! users  8)

Welcome  8)
The best things in life are free.