Author Topic: Providers  (Read 6060 times)

Walker

Providers
« on: September 29, 2003, 01:35:26 AM »
Hi Vlk,

It's not unusual for me to lose the plot  :-[ and this is the case with something in Technicals thread about 'Suggestions'.

I saw this amongst the thread but can't figure who it was who said what !...

2. A possibility to configure what modules must be installed (which providers, for instance: standard shield, Script Blocker, Outlook, Internet provider, P2P, etc.

This is not an especially bad idea, but why would you want to cut your protection short?  If the provider is not present, then Avast will not run the service.

Anyway, my question is, I don't have Outlook, (or OE for that matter), neither do I have 'Messenger', but Avast does have these providers running on my system. So... should they be?. Can I turn them off and if so would it help release resources?

I think there are some good suggestions compiled in Technicals thread, but now we seem to have two 'wish lists' going and I for one can't figure out what has been done, what is planned, or what are non-starters. Any chance of have one 'post' (NOT ane topic, just a single message) with all the suggestions listed as... a; 'done',  b; 'pending', c; 'what daft pr*t  thought of this', if you get my meaning. Just so that the mentally challenged like me can follow it :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Providers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 02:47:31 AM »
Hi Vlk,

It's not unusual for me to lose the plot  :-[ and this is the case with something in Technicals thread about 'Suggestions'.

I saw this amongst the thread but can't figure who it was who said what !...

2. A possibility to configure what modules must be installed (which providers, for instance: standard shield, Script Blocker, Outlook, Internet provider, P2P, etc.

This is not an especially bad idea, but why would you want to cut your protection short?  If the provider is not present, then Avast will not run the service.

Anyway, my question is, I don't have Outlook, (or OE for that matter), neither do I have 'Messenger', but Avast does have these providers running on my system. So... should they be?. Can I turn them off and if so would it help release resources?

I think there are some good suggestions compiled in Technicals thread, but now we seem to have two 'wish lists' going and I for one can't figure out what has been done, what is planned, or what are non-starters. Any chance of have one 'post' (NOT ane topic, just a single message) with all the suggestions listed as... a; 'done',  b; 'pending', c; 'what daft pr*t  thought of this', if you get my meaning. Just so that the mentally challenged like me can follow it :-\

Sorry for the inconvenience of opening a second forum with sugestions  :'(
My purpose was not doing a second wishlist...
I am doing a compilation of all suggestions (from wishlist and mine) and I will send it to Vlk because I don´t know if avast! home page could handle a interactive list: suggestions of the forum users & avast! team position about it.

Oh, doing such compilation will take me some time... Just wait.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 11:53:44 AM »

Technical,

Now back up and stop thinking that my comment was critical, quiet the opposite was intended. Like I said, IMHO you have compiled a good list of suggestions in your thread and possibly resurrected some of the things that could easily have got overlooked, so there is no need to mention 'apologies' and 'inconvenience'.

We all work and think differently, and for *me* a single message with a list is easier to follow than a whole thread that gets interpolluted with other chit-chat. So if you think about it, my comments are just another 'suggestion', this time merely on the method of how presenting and following a 'wish list' or a 'suggestions list' could be made more readable... hopefully I can also be allowed to put forward a suggestion such as that.  :-X

I can actually see where you were coming from when you titled in your thread "not for debate", but the very nature of the topic has meant that debate has indeed started to take place in the thread.

Apart from anything else, I was trying to prompt Vlk  ::) into telling us what we... have got, might get, won't get, or even what is down right impracticle. As well, of course, wanting to know about 'providers' as was the topic of my post.

So, apologies for inconvenience are misplaced... keep up the good work of compiling your suggestions.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 03:43:56 PM »
This specific thing will be be addressed real soon - it's in fact just a matter of breaking the setup packages a bit. Our ingenius setup/update engine can handle it without a single line of new code (well at least I hope, lol ;)).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 06:48:05 PM »
This specific thing will be be addressed real soon - it's in fact just a matter of breaking the setup packages a bit. Our ingenius setup/update engine can handle it without a single line of new code (well at least I hope, lol ;)).

Vlk

Vlk,
So there's nothing wrong with the excess providers running on my machine???. Just waiting for the ol'e Avast ingenuity to kick in  8)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 07:52:28 PM »
So there's nothing wrong with the excess providers running on my machine???.

That's correct. I mean, each of them consumes roughly 40K of your memory (your RAM, not the one in your hippocampus ;)) - do you really care?

It's more like a psychological thing I'd say (many people are asking for this feature so why not implement it, right)...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 08:33:45 PM »
That's correct. I mean, each of them consumes roughly 40K of your memory (your RAM, not the one in your hippocampus ;)) - do you really care?Vlk

Thanks for clearing that up Vlk.

Actually, my PC has got more resourses than I have got between my ears  :-\ . If your considering developing any drivers for dozey old twats, put me down for a bucket load  :-\ :-X :-[ :P >:( Anyway, what makes you think my own memory is not completely 'Random Access'  :'(

btw; don't forget, it would be nice to get all of those Avast resourses out of memory quicker, so that XP can switch off with the same speed that I ignore your sarkey quips  ;D ;D ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 01:10:03 AM »

Technical,

Now back up and stop thinking that my comment was critical, quiet the opposite was intended. Like I said, IMHO you have compiled a good list of suggestions in your thread and possibly resurrected some of the things that could easily have got overlooked, so there is no need to mention 'apologies' and 'inconvenience'.

We all work and think differently, and for *me* a single message with a list is easier to follow than a whole thread that gets interpolluted with other chit-chat. So if you think about it, my comments are just another 'suggestion', this time merely on the method of how presenting and following a 'wish list' or a 'suggestions list' could be made more readable... hopefully I can also be allowed to put forward a suggestion such as that.  :-X

I can actually see where you were coming from when you titled in your thread "not for debate", but the very nature of the topic has meant that debate has indeed started to take place in the thread.

Apart from anything else, I was trying to prompt Vlk  ::) into telling us what we... have got, might get, won't get, or even what is down right impracticle. As well, of course, wanting to know about 'providers' as was the topic of my post.

So, apologies for inconvenience are misplaced... keep up the good work of compiling your suggestions.

OK... No more apologies... Let´s work and let avast! do his part of the job  8)
The best things in life are free.