Author Topic: What is VPS and iAVS and "Program Update"  (Read 3968 times)

smolls

What is VPS and iAVS and "Program Update"
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:15:22 PM »
I am confused about updating Avast!  Can some kindly cut through some of these cryptic acronyms please!

---------

I prefer to manually update my Avast.

On the right-click menu from the system tray icon, under the "Updating ..." optio, there are two update options.  One for "iAVS" and the other for "Program Updates". 

I think I can understand Program Updates as referring to updates to a new version or release of the Avast main program(s).  Is this right?

However, do iAVS updates include Program Updates?  Do program Updates include iAVS updates?  And what exactly does "iAVS" stand for (the Avast help text calls it "virus database update" but that does not explain the acronym.

-------

Then I have seen a term "VPS" used in products like Avast External Control when I am setting up the update frequency.  The Avast help text refers briefly and tangentially to "VPS" as the "virus database".

Is VPS the same thing as iAVS?

And does Avast Ext Control only affects the update frequency of the iAVS and not the Program Update?

------

Thank you for any help.

anbu

Re: What is VPS and iAVS and "Program Update"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »
dear smolls
     the  iavs is the  technology used by alwil software to deliver virus database updates and  the vps is the virus database of the avast antivirus. so dont get confused with these terms.

Spyros

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »
Hi, Smolls.
Most of your questions will be answered by reading avast's help file.
About acronyms, read here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11043.0.
Also, by using the forum's "search" button, you will find more usefull stuff (that's how i found the above thread  ;))

Spyros

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »
I think I can understand Program Updates as referring to updates to a new version or release of the Avast main program(s).  Is this right?
Yes.

However, do iAVS updates include Program Updates?
No.

Do program Updates include iAVS updates?
Yes.