Author Topic: Is avast! compatible for Windows 8?  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Cast

Is avast! compatible for Windows 8?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
I havent used Avast personally for a few years but I have it installed on our Family PC and I just now tried to install on my sisters recently bought Windows 8 laptop, It installed fine but I didnt see the yellow ball in the tray icon so I tried to open it by clicking on the desktop icon and I got an error that something wouldnt run so my question now is it actually compatible or should i wait?

P.S. The recently bought computer didnt come with a pre installed AV, only Windows Defender.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:13:08 AM by Cast »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Is avast! compatible for Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
There is a beta that appears to resolve that problem on 8.1  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=131804.0

Offline Cast

Re: Is avast! compatible for Windows 8?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Well now im not even sure if its has 8.1 as we have had it for less than a week and I havent had much time to look through it plus figure out how to use windows 8. Ill try the beta just because I know avast has very good protection, but it is a little heavy on my computer for what I like to do with it so I have been cloud av's.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:13:22 AM by Cast »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
The beta is compatible but the VPS updates are not working for it. It should be fixed in the next beta refresh. If I remember correctly, Win 8.1 displays incompatability issues with Avast but that should be fixed by RTM... can't find the quote. Someone from Avast team said that.

Windows 8.1 is beta yet...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Cast

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:02:12 AM »
Yeah I found that out after I had searched around. How is the beta working for those that are using it for windows 8? Any major problems that I should know about?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
Yeah I found that out after I had searched around. How is the beta working for those that are using it for windows 8? Any major problems that I should know about?

A number of Bugs (all of which have been reported) but nothing major on my Win8 configuration.
I'm getting automatic updates and for a Beta 1 this one is very stable. :)

Offline Cast

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »
What about the RC3 Beta or is that outdated and there is a new version? I just do not want her to be using a beta and have problems with it while she is going to school on the off chance there is any.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »
What about the RC3 Beta or is that outdated and there is a new version? I just do not want her to be using a beta and have problems with it while she is going to school on the off chance there is any.
The 8.0.1496 R3 beta is the one essexboy supplied you the link for which is quite stable as I'm using it on windows 8, the update issues floating around are related to the 2014 beta which will be in development for another 2 months or so.

Offline Cast

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Well I actually installed the 2014 beta one last night for my own computer, I like it so far other certain changes to the UI since Im used to the 6-7 Versions of it. Ill try the RC3 beta on her computer sometime today hopefully.