Author Topic: Windows does not boot. Stops at aswRvrt.sys Recover using enclosure?  (Read 9048 times)

r0zy

Re: Windows does not boot. Stops at aswRvrt.sys Recover using enclosure?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »
Hi again!

Thanks for all your great help!
Thought this might be interesting to you.

After recovering basically everything from my C-drive with Recuva (Thanks again!!!) I ran a few Hardrive testing softwares. (HD-Tune, Seatools..)
They found a minor error and with HD Sentinel I was able to see that the health of the disc was actually quite high.
So since I hade saved all my data already I reinitialized the disk and was able to "repair" it.

So now I am actually using that same harddrive with a new installation of windows! :)
Everything is saved!
I will however make sure to keep track of the drive and its health.

Thanks AGAIN!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
I think MS should have done a tad more checking before releasing that update as I have a few on another forum where Avast is not the resident AV and it appears to be a delayed effect.  It seems to  affect only Vista and 7 64bit

r0zy

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi again!

New problems!!   :(  :-\  :-[
Not really sure where to go from here.
So everything that has happend is that I have reinitialized  the disk with HD sentinel (as I understand write zeros all over it).
Then formatted it and put it back in the cpu and reinstalled windows using a USB. found ISO file here.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page60?p=470600&viewfull=1#post470600

I actually messed up and installed the 32bit version first and realized that after trying to install som drivers.
So then I redid everything and windows did a Large amount of udates.. around 150. And some of them went wrong but it didnt seem to matter..
Everything went fine I installed some more drivers and actually ran a computer game to test it. I ran HD sentinel again which showed me around 86% health of the disk. So I thought all was good. I did not yet install avast or any other antivirus softwares.
Now today (like 4-5 days later)  it (spu) just froze all of a sudden and this new BSOD came up, with code 0x000007A    kernel_data_inpage_error.

I tried to reboot only to get into BIOS where the HD was not even recognized... let it sit for a while and rebooted like everything was fine (took a bit longer).
I read a bit about the error and someone said that if the error occurs when the cpu is warm it could be the motherboard failing or a memory error so ran memory diagnostics tool with 2 passes which found zero errors.

Then HD sentinel has now found a few errors and helath has decreased to 78%.... Performance is still 100% and expected lifetime above 1000 days.
I have pasted the recomendations below, which seem to indicate something might be wrong with my cables or the HDD. But yesterday I ran a surface test with no bad sectors...?
 IF the motherboard or cable is failing I guess I need a totally new cpu..?
But I dont know how to find that out?  I am considering buying a new HDD but dont want to do that if the problme lies with the motherboard...
So what would you recommend?? What can I test? CAn I test the cables in some way?

Ps. I am using the computer right now without any problems..

The recomendatons read:
The drive found 7 bad sectors during its self test.
There are 7 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
1256 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

It is recommended to continuously monitor the hard disk status.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
Fitting a new hard drive cable is not something I have done yet.  But it should be straight forward

Get a new cable plug one end into the motherboard (in place of the current one)  and the other into the HDD .. Job done

However, it appears that your hard drive is slowly failing

ram1220

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
You have a bad hard drive. Time to replace it.

Offline grenneam

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 03:43:18 AM »
I'm making this entry because I worked on a friends computer today that is having an IDENTICAL problem.  It's a Dell running XP Home Edition (32 Bit).  The initial symptoms were that Windows would fail almost immediately (NO Splash screen with the little moving cursor) indicating that it couldn't find the "...\windows\system directory.  I tried the recovery console "R" option and could not get the DIR command to work in the C:\Windows folder.  Ran a couple of other commands and ended up running chkdsk.  It ran for well over an hour and then appeared to be stuck at about 66%.  I killed it by shutting off the PC and did a quick Power On restart.  When it came back on I tried for safe mode, but it  did what I can only describe as a "normal" windows CHKDSK prior to attempting to load windows.  It appeared to to perform correctly but at the end - cleared the screen - and reverted to loading windows so fast that I didn't really get a chance to analyze the results that were on the screen.  It was at that point that the load process stopped indicating a problem with "ASWRTRV.SYS" or whatever comes after it.   And that's were the start-up process stands at the moment.  Coincidentally this same person had some problems last week after updating to AVG version 2014.  After removing AVG, I had her install AVAST and up until today I think everything was working fine.   I've brought her PC home with me so I can look at her HD  using my PC's.  Any comments or suggestion???????