Author Topic: Virus symptoms perhaps?  (Read 28511 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Virus symptoms perhaps?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
Hi Suzannah,

As what I gathered of this topic your friends computer is a mess, because she did not attend it properly. Safe all her data that she needs (documents, e-mail addresses etc., etc.)  on another machine, and do the inevitable total re installation, install the free XP Pro from Microsoft (they giving it for free, really), install service pack II, a good antivirus program e.g. AVAST, Hitman Pro, a combination pack of good reliable antispy- malware), mailwasher (the last free version), and tell her to auto- or regularly update and run these programs, teach her not to click on anything she sees (danger of Trojans, active X malware,  from what I hear she has hit a LSP insert (do you have to rebuild internet connection?), is her winsocks kaputt (dalshian virus).
Sorry go to a pro, let him give you a second opinion, when he tells you I am right in what I fear, do as I tell you.

Kindest regards,

POLONUS
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:55 PM »
Just an update have system here,  looks bad, it eventually let me defrag it, got load up time down from 10 mins to 6 mins...lol....have tried installing avast and ad-aware from cd, but it is not having any of it......think I may as well give up and get her to take it to pc shop....... ::)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 12:59:08 AM »
Things looking up managed to get Ad-aware in 113critical objects identified.......I am on a mission, need to know how to uninstall Panda antivirus as its 294 days out of date, can't uninstall from add/remove or the program uninstaller...anybody any ideas??? if you have please let me know...thanks... :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 01:15:32 AM »
Worst case scenario (very down and dirty), delete the panda programs folder in C:\Program Files on the HDD, run (windows start button, run, type) 'msconfig' without quotes, select the startup tab and untick/delete the entries for panda.

If you have a registry checker, run it and it may find registry entries for panda, remove them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 05:05:33 AM »
Worst case scenario (very down and dirty), delete the panda programs folder in C:\Program Files on the HDD, run (windows start button, run, type) 'msconfig' without quotes, select the startup tab and untick/delete the entries for panda.

If you have a registry checker, run it and it may find registry entries for panda, remove them.
Worst scenario indeed...
(Why did you install Panda?  :-[ :P :'()
Is there any standalone application for uninstalling Panda at its website?
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 09:09:12 AM »
Have you tried Trend Micro Sysclean?

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/support/tsc.php
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/support/pattern.php

It doesn't need to be installed, just copied to the hard disk (with its definition file.)

You could also try McAfee Stinger and of course, avast! Virus Cleaner.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html

These are all stand-alone utilities. Start the computer in safe mode (tap F8 while booting,) copy all three to the hard disk and run.

Don't give up!

It sometimes seems you'll never get on top of an infected computer, but keep going and you will!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

DukeNukem

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005, 01:38:31 PM »
Hi Suzannah,
Save all her data that she needs (documents, e-mail addresses etc., etc.)  on another machine,
I would highly recommend you do this before attempting to clean the system.

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 02:31:11 PM »
Thanks to all for help and advice working through things as fast as pc will let me, managed to get avast installed, the VRDB seems to be taking an age at least 40 mins so far is this normal or just another symptom?    :)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »
Technical. I didn't install Panda, it was on the machine when my friend bought it, just want to try to get rid of it for her to put avast and zone alarm on........ :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 03:34:29 PM »
Cancel the database thing- let it run later after you've cleaned the computer. Up date avast! from your CD and run a boot time scan. That's priority No. 1.

Download avast! updates here, copy to CD and update avast! on your friend's computer. (Assuming you haven't already done so and your friends connection is still out.)

http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
Hi Suzsannah,

It is never a good idea to have two virus scanners on a comp, they come into conflict with each other (norton and AVG e.g. is a notorious example of this). An extra on line-scanner or scan tool like stinger.exe is a good idea. Scan the lot first, all in safe mode, push f8 on start up, you know or else XP restores the filth back automatically, find the 1.9 version of HijackThis, download the zip, read the instruction on the net, make an empty file in the Program Files, name it HijackThis,  unzip HijackThis there (after you scanned the zipfile of course), and run it from a shortcut you placed on the desktop. Interesting to see what you have there. Download Startup.List and run the program from the desktop, interesting to know what is in this. Sometimes HijackThis cannot clean out some malware, you have to find the uninstaller from a trustworthy site (but there are lot of rogue sites that give you additional malware, so watch out, you do it at your own risk or your friend's if she lets you do this. Place your Hijackfile on the gladiator.forum site, register there, and ask the Admin or a qualified helper to help you out with your HJT logs. If it is malware or spyware, they are qualified to do this, and make a good job of this. I am only learning to do this, but not qualified as yet, only a member, but I am learning to do this.

Only those that never gave up won,

Greetz,

POLONUS
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 09:35:17 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 09:55:10 PM »
Thanks again everybody...but the time has come for it to go to the doctor.......spoke with the shop she purchased it from today, he was a great help also, he even talked me through doing a repair of XP....but sad to say it did not work...he said it must be full of virus and trojan...the pc now will only get as far as the desktop and that is it...click anything and the eggtimer comes on and stays there.....have tried F8 not even an option there for safe mode, only to reboot from floppy. cd/dvd. IDE 0 or IDE 1, so that is no help at all......I have learned loads from you guys over the last 2 days and really appreciate it........ :) :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »
There does get to a point where you/they have to bite the bullet, save what data files, favourites, emails, addressbook, etc. and start from a clean formatted disk. They are very close to this point.

Unfortunately offering distance advice and help doesn't always get the job done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »
Yes you are right....I have to break it to her.....now even the o/s won't load..........not looking good is it....... >:(

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »
Has your friend got a wireless keyboard? It's impossible to boot into safe mode with these. You would have to plug in a corded keyboard.

Once in safe mode, run all the anti-virus tools mentioned before (Sysclean, Stinger avast! Virus Cleaner). You're not installing them so they won't conflict.

If your computer still isn't working, think about a reinstall, but even a computer in the condition you mention can clean up to a workable state in the end (bearing in mind my original warning that it impossible to guarantee 100% security in such a case, so internet shopping, banking etc would still be a risk.)