Author Topic: I don't understand...  (Read 3807 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
I don't understand...
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
I don't understand....

1) Why was the name of the program changed? It was avast! Mobile Security and now it is Mobile Security & Antivirus. Isn't it avast! anymore? Do you mean that antivirus isn't the central part of the program?

2) What is Update Agent? Who is it for? What does it update?

May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: I don't understand...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
1) Name has been (and might be in the future) changed due to SEO. At least that's what I know.
2) That's the name of the Anti-Theft app if you install it directly from Google Play.

Filip

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
1) Name has been (and might be in the future) changed due to SEO. At least that's what I know.
Loss of face isn't an optimization. It's a decapitation.
2) That's the name of the Anti-Theft app if you install it directly from Google Play.
I didn't catch you. You mean that it is a new name for the stand-alone Anti-Theft? But why do you rename it?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:48:06 AM by George Yves »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
SEO? what's or who is that?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »
SEO? what's or who is that?

Basically SEO is something that can increase the overall ranking of a site in the search results.

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
1) It's not a loss of face - we're just trying to get new users by optimizing the name for their search queries. When people search for "Antivirus" (and they do), we'd like them to find us too, not just our competition. I think it's pretty understandable. Plus it's only the name on Play store, when installed, it stays the same.

2) We have two installations on Anti-Theft - the advanced one, which allows you to make up your own name, install rooted and such, and simple one, which directs you to Google Play. The simple one is named Update Agent, because we still want to be a little bit disguised and not show as Anti-Theft on the phone. When we had Anti-Theft on the Play store and Update Agent on the phone, users were confused about why some Update Agent has been installed, when they installed Anti-Theft...

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
1) It's not a loss of face - we're just trying to get new users by optimizing the name for their search queries. When people search for "Antivirus" (and they do), we'd like them to find us too, not just our competition. I think it's pretty understandable. Plus it's only the name on Play store, when installed, it stays the same.

2) We have two installations on Anti-Theft - the advanced one, which allows you to make up your own name, install rooted and such, and simple one, which directs you to Google Play. The simple one is named Update Agent, because we still want to be a little bit disguised and not show as Anti-Theft on the phone. When we had Anti-Theft on the Play store and Update Agent on the phone, users were confused about why some Update Agent has been installed, when they installed Anti-Theft...

But why did you remove the word "avast!" from AMS? Why didn't you choose the name "avast! Mobile Antivirus"?

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
I honestly don't know. I'm just a developer and not in charge of the naming on Google Play...