Author Topic: how to kill "avast upgrade" advertising popups?  (Read 10245 times)

JohnnyBob

how to kill "avast upgrade" advertising popups?
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
Recently I have started receiving these unwanted popups from systray and they are becoming an annoyance. There seems to be no setting to turn them off. How can I kill them?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: how to kill "avast upgrade" advertising popups?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
The only thing you can do is to place a limit on the duration of the pop-ups.
Just a little warning any time you use a "free" product expect pop-ups from time to time.
User purchases are what pays the bills.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
I believe they are hooked to the auto update notification, so no real way to remove unless you disable the auto update notification. Personally I feel that is a step too far, just reduce the popup duration to 1 second for auto update notifications, so you still get the notification (disable the popup and you don't get the audio notification either) and it quickly disappears.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JohnnyBob

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
I believe they are hooked to the auto update notification, so no real way to remove unless you disable the auto update notification. Personally I feel that is a step too far, just reduce the popup duration to 1 second for auto update notifications, so you still get the notification (disable the popup and you don't get the audio notification either) and it quickly disappears.
OK, thanks, I'll try that...
Found that option box near bottom of page in Settings > Updates.
Will report back if it doesn't work.

I had Settings > Popups set to 0 seconds for Info popups and Update popups, but that didn't do it.

[None of the avast popups disappear automatically for me. They used to, but not anymore. All of them remain open now, until I move my mouse!? That's probably because I have my mouse set to automatically jump to the most likely action button in new windows.  I find that setting very helpful in general, but avast is turning it into another annoyance!]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:52:39 PM by JohnnyBob »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »
Well 0 zero isn't a valid duration, that is why it is ignored, whilst 1 second is valid.

Yes, if your mouse is over the popup it will remain until moved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »
Is there any particular reason why people who have purchased the product are still receiving these pop ups.?

CFLCarmel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
If you are referring to the what I call "self-spam"... i.e., the avast! pop-ups from within the program about avast! that are unnecessary, someone on this forum suggest to me a few options, and I leave avast! in Silent/gaming mode.  Now the avast! pop-up spam is gone.  Just leave it in Silent/gaming mode and you will no longer be bombarded with avast!'s self-spam.  Hope that helps.

I have no idea why they do that... it's a major turn-off and is the only reason why I have not bought the program.  After I read these forums and saw that PAYING customers were having trouble with it self-inflicted pop-ups.  I am not going to buy a program to have it throw its own advertisements in my face...

Poxy Pig

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
I came back to Avast after trying AVG for a year or so.
Previously Avast would only intervene when there was a genuine reason for that. Now I find it throws up stuff every hour or two and that it is always advertising for other Avast products.  >:(
These advertising popups are very annoying, sufficiently so that I would not now consider purchasing Avast as others have said that they do not got away even when you have purchased.

GTX66

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
There are several Windows tweaks out there that will block all pop ups from the tray.

desertman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
This question has somehow been raised before but not clearly (and best officially from Avast) been answered:

Are these pop-ups a "feature" of the free software version?  Would it be possible to configure a paid software version in a way that only pop-ups about viruses and other threats come up and otherwise the program works completely silent and invisible in the background?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:52:53 PM by desertman »

GTX66

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
This question has somehow been raised before but not clearly (and best officially from Avast) been answered:

Are these pop-ups a "feature" of the free software version?  Would it be possible to configure a paid software version in a way that only pop-ups about viruses and other threats come up and otherwise the program works completely silent and invisible in the background?
Then maybe you should go to Avast Support and ask them. But the paid version has no wazy to turn them off. All you can do is lower the amount of time that they display. For updates , I have mine set for 5 seconds. All the rest are at default.

desertman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »
Then maybe you should go to Avast Support and ask them.
That's what I just did. I got within a short time this completely unrelated answer:

"This is the best way to use avast! to remove any infection:

1) Update the virus database
2) Schedule boot-time scan.
3) Restart your computer again. The boot-time scan will start - let it finish and move all the viruses found to the chest.

Now you should be virus-free. But if the virus is still present on your computer, try to use some removal tools, like: ..."

Given that fact that the free Avast version is already very good and getting great reviews everywhere I wonder why anyone would upgrade to a paid version if you are getting nagged there into buying or installing more stuff all the time, too.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.