Author Topic: Stand-alone registry editor?  (Read 25762 times)

beerslayer

Stand-alone registry editor?
« on: September 21, 2003, 08:43:54 PM »
Hi,

I happened to start reading about your BART CD product, and while I can't foresee the need for it in my case, one part of it caught my attention: the Registry Editor.

Here's my problem: I have a triple-boot PC (fortunately, not my primary machine), which used to be able to boot Windows 98 from the C: drive and Windows 2000 from the D: drive (and Linux from the third partition, but that's not relevant).  Recently, while working under 2000, I attempted to update the video driver, and something went badly wrong.  2000 no longer boots - even in Safe Mode, I get the dreaded BSOD during startup.  98 still boots fine (as does Linux).

I have a feeling I know what's wrong in the 2000 registry (disabled standard VGA adapter).  But I cannot find any way to get into the 2000 registry - 2000's "recovery console" is virtually worthless, and 98's regedit won't touch 2000's registry.  Nor will any third-party registry editors I've tried so far (RegHance, Registrar Lite).

My questions are:
  1) Would your registry editor provide me a way to get into 2000's registry on my system from 98, without having to reinstall 2000?  I have a lot of stuff installed under 2000 that I don't really want to lose the registry settings for...
  2) If so, is there any way I can buy, beg, borrow, or steal a copy of this registry editor?  Needless to say, I cannot afford US$300 for the CD... and I'd never use most of what's on it anyway.
  3) Have you folks considered selling the registry editor separately?  I could probably afford $10-20 for it, if I had a reasonable expectation that it would work in my circumstances...

Thanks in advance,

-- Jeff
-- aka The Beerslayer

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Stand-alone registry editor?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 09:21:01 PM »
Hm, aren´t you able to start Win200 in safe mode?
If you can´t, you can try regdatXP. It is shareware, i do not know what the sareware allows and what it doesn´t.
MfG Ralf

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 09:25:25 PM »
The BART CD regedit can't be used for your purpose as it only runs under Win2K/XP (the BART CD itself woukd work just fine, though).

However, why don't you take the registry files to another WinNT/2K/XP machine, and load/edit the hives from there? This should work without any problems...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

beerslayer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 06:13:36 AM »
The BART CD regedit can't be used for your purpose as it only runs under Win2K/XP (the BART CD itself woukd work just fine, though).

I have another Win2K machine that I could make a bootable CD on; however, the CD drive on the semi-dead machine doesn't recognize all bootable CDs - it won't boot from the Win2K installation CD itself, for instance.

However, why don't you take the registry files to another WinNT/2K/XP machine, and load/edit the hives from there? This should work without any problems...

Because I didn't think of it, that's why!   :-\

Actually, it sounds like a good idea, but I've never tried this before.  I'm not sure which files constitute the common (HKLM portion?) registry... I know of USER.DAT, but I also seem to remember a SYSTEM.DAT under earlier Windows versions, which I cannot find anywhere.  There should be a common registry file that is used with all users, but I do not know what it's called under Win2K, nor where to find it.

However, my original question still stands: have you considered making a stand-alone version of your registry editor that would work for someone in my situation?   ;D

-- Jeff
-- aka The Beerslayer