Author Topic: Is possible to recover files from HD scanned with Avast and sent to Quarantine?  (Read 4236 times)

jppg1978

Guys...I don't know what to do cuz I've scanned my PC with Avast and all my files disappeared. As all those files are my backup of the last 8 yrs I must find a way to have them back. Is there a way?? Please advice. Thank you so much!
JP

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I must find a way to have them back. Is there a way??
it depends.... we need some info first

if avast moved the files, they must be infected ..... what malware name did avast give the files?
open quarantine/chest and see....you may take a screenshot and attach here

do you use removable drives? ...and move it to other computers?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:00:17 PM by Pondus »

jppg1978

Thank you so far, but how can I know what malware name did avast give the files?
Once I figure that out I'll take a screenshot and attach here.

I've used my laptop (Windows XP) to run Avast Free Version on my External HD that had all my backup from the last 8 yrs.
After it scanned the external HD all those backup files disappeared from it. As I didn't have other backup I must find a way to have it back otherwise I'll be screwed up!!

Hammey

Hi ok well if avast removed the files they may not be infected and avast just thought they where, another case of a program that never runs a error. The files are not gone, even if you format a hard drive they are not gone any files deleted are not really gone either. If avast wont let you go into the Virus chest and restore them you can use a program like Easy recovery pro to get back all your files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thank you so far, but how can I know what malware name did avast give the files?

Open the avast User Interface > Maintenance > Scan Logs, select the scan that you did and then click the View Results.

I've used my laptop (Windows XP) to run Avast Free Version on my External HD that had all my backup from the last 8 yrs.
After it scanned the external HD all those backup files disappeared from it. As I didn't have other backup I must find a way to have it back otherwise I'll be screwed up!!

I would be surprised avast removed all of these files as surely the total size would be massive ?

You can then give some examples of the file name and malware name given in these detections.

~~~~
@ Hammey
You can't recover files in the chest from an external source (not literally) as they are encrypted (and the original name has been changed). So even if all files in the physical hard drive location were recovered you may not be able to identify what the original file name was and then you have to try and decrypt the files that were in the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GTX66

I found them in the statistics sect on Avast 2014.

Hammey

Hi DavidR ty for the heads up better answer than if avast removed them they have to be infected. But the files even if avast removed them are really still on the hard drive platters and can be recovered unless of course avast has a magic way to over write those sectors or kill the sectors on the platters. Which personally I can not see as even programs like kill disk after being used on a drive you can still get the files.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

seems to be one if these USB worms, some of these critters hide the files on the external drives
i will notifie on of the USB malware experts

argus

Download MCShield from one of the following links:

MyCity -  Official download link
Softpedija - Mirror download link

• Double click MCShield-Setup to install the application.
  • Wait a few seconds to MCShield finish initial scan.
Recommendation to under General and Scanner tab you click on Defaults button to choose recommended options.
  • Connect your USB storage devices to the computer one at a time. Scanning will be done automatically.
When all scanning is done, you need to attach a logreport that has made MCShield.

Start -> All Programs -> MCShield -> Logs

Attach here -> AllScans.txt

Explanation: USB storage devices are all the USB devices that get their own partition letter at connecting to the PC,
e.g. flash drives (thumb/pen drives, USB sticks), external HDDs, MP3/MP4 players, digital cameras,
memory cards (SD cards, Sony Memory Stick, MultiMedia Cards etc.), some mobile phones, some GPS navigation devices etc.

Like this settings MCShield:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hi DavidR ty for the heads up better answer than if avast removed them they have to be infected. But the files even if avast removed them are really still on the hard drive platters and can be recovered unless of course avast has a magic way to over write those sectors or kill the sectors on the platters. Which personally I can not see as even programs like kill disk after being used on a drive you can still get the files.

Read my reply again - Recovering them isn't really the issue, you can do nothing with files recovered from outside of the chest as they will be in an encrypted and renamed state, totally unusable.

We all know the file isn't truly gone but the entry in the file table, until that space (marked as free) is overwritten. The fact that it isn't gone isn't the issue here, but the ability or rather inability to use the file even if recovered.

Only if the files are Restored from within the avast chest (by the avast process) will they be decrypted and the original file name and location restore will they be usable (assuming that they aren't infected and avast doesn't alert again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security