Author Topic: Avast Desktop Spam  (Read 1666 times)

Tshann

Avast Desktop Spam
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
I signed up for a year of Pro last year and have generally been pleased with it.

Because anti-virus can change dramatically year to year (at one time AVG was decent, even Norton and McAfee were good back in the distant past), I reevaluate my anti-virus choices on an annual basis.

I was going to go for another year of Avast but then they started spamming renewal ads to my desktop every 4 hours. No matter what I was in, BAM! there's an ad telling me to renew and that my year is about to expire, as if I had forgotten when told me 3 hours previously.

In order to get renewals, Avast turns into Malware/Adware and harasses it's paying customers. I contacted support and they confirmed that I was getting the messages and their solution was to set up auto-renewal.

Avast, you folks better check yourself. Currently you have a great product, but it's crappy decisions like this which will turn you into another has been and open the door for a product that respects its customers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:24:51 PM by Tshann »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast Desktop Spam
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »
The simple resolution to your issue is to just renew and be done with it.
If you want to contact avast concerning these "nags" use http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Tshann

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
The simple resolution to an intrusive ad is to purchase the ads product eh? I'm pointing out that Avast is using unethical behavior in marketing to their existing customers.

I've already contacted Avast and they confirmed, "Yes we'll be sending you a pop up every 4 hours until you give us money".

No matter how good of a product they may have, they need to respect their customers much better than this.

dark_skeleton

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »
I agree with OP, even Windows doesn't nag us that much about entering a serial key. There should be a choice, like in Windows Updates notification when they require reboot (but choosable times should be different)