Author Topic: Since upgrade Web Shield no longer works  (Read 3674 times)

ballmj

Since upgrade Web Shield no longer works
« on: May 06, 2005, 12:18:44 PM »
Since the last automatic update several days ago, Web Shield (4.6-652) seems to be blocking all http traffic and I get an alert dialog in Mozilla FireFox saying "The document contains no data".  Without closing my Mozilla session I terminate Web Shield and I'm able to surf the Internet.  If I enable Web Shield all Internet traffic is blocked.

Avast Pro (Trial License) 4.6.652 with VPS 0518-3 is running on my Athlon 1Ghz with 512M RAM and Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2.  I've connected to the Internet via my Netgear RP614 Cable/DSL Web Safe Router Gateway that is connect to Bigpond Cable.  The Windows Firewall is enabled, however disabling this does not allow Web Shield to work.  I've also added Web Shield to the list of valid programs to use the internet.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Since upgrade Web Shield no longer works
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 03:25:56 PM »
Welcome to forums ballmj !

See this thread, and PROXY thing could help in your case as well...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10690.0
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »
I am not aware of any changes that should cause this. Can you please try to enable logging for webshield and send it to me?

- edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini
- find the section [WebScanner]
- add the line
EnableLogging=1

- restart webshield (terminate and start)

Then (after trying to access some pages) WebShield will create ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws in the <avast>\data\log\ folder. Please send me both. They would be accessible when webshield is terminated again.

Lukas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 08:19:31 PM »
I am not aware of any changes that should cause this.
Lukas, for me, with ZA I can't browse from HTTP to HTTPS: email loggins, bank sites, etc.
It's not a deterministic behavior: one time the page loads, others not... In one computer, I give up on teaching the users how to manage it. I just disable WebShield... It's not always stable, in all systems, all the time... Specially whit HTTPs  :'(
Oh, I forget, the computer uses a local proxy  :P
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 08:24:58 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.