Author Topic: [Outlook] How to auto-delete without confirm?  (Read 10309 times)

macslut

[Outlook] How to auto-delete without confirm?
« on: May 06, 2005, 06:33:13 PM »
I'm running MS Office Basic Outlook 2003 with Avast 4.6 Home Edition.

I'm getting about 50 Sober infected emails per hour.  What I want to have happen is to have the Avast plug-in simply delete the entire message or at least just the attachments without any notice or confirmation.

Right now, it defaults to deleting them, but it puts up a little radioactive like warning with a beep and a voice *for each individual* infected message.

This is killing me.

Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [Outlook] How to auto-delete without confirm?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:46:54 PM »
I don't know if this is the same in the Outlook/Exchange provider/plugin (I don't use MS Outlook), but here is what you doe for the Internet Mail provider, it is probably the same or similar.

Click on Internet Mail provider and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No.

Personally I don't use silent mode, because I want to know what is going on with my system. If someone is getting so many warnings of virus infection, infected emails, etc. that they become intrusive, then it is time to review their security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, etc.

I use MailWasher Pro but there is a free version that only works with one email account. Not only does it filter spam but you can also filter suspicious emails at source, the email server, you then only download the email you want.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 08:31:47 PM »
This is killing me.
No, only in Professional version is possible the 'full' automatic action. See picture here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285

In Home version you can only use Silent Mode like David said.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 08:40:36 PM »
This is killing me.
No, only in Professional version is possible the 'full' automatic action. See picture here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285

In Home version you can only use Silent Mode like David said. ;)

Even this may not be possible in the Outlook/Exchange plugin, I don't have it as part of avast so I couldn't check, but the help file doesn't mention it as an option in the Outlook/Exchange provider, Advanced tab.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »
DavidR,
In Home version the option is on 'Advanced' tab: 'Silent mode (moves infected files to the chest)'.
In Pro version, the picture shows the Virus page of Outlook/Exchange plugin (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 10:11:21 PM »
DavidR,
In Home version the option is on 'Advanced' tab: 'Silent mode (moves infected files to the chest)'.
In Pro version, the picture shows the Virus page of Outlook/Exchange plugin (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

What I was trying to say is that the options in the home version and Outlook/Exchange are different th the Internet Mail, Advanced tab, there is no mention of General answer  = Yes or No.

macslut

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 01:31:44 AM »
What I was trying to say is that the options in the home version and Outlook/Exchange are different th the Internet Mail, Advanced tab, there is no mention of General answer  = Yes or No.

Hmm...I have that checked, but I'm still getting that damn pop-up.  This is really frustrating >:(

Unfortunately in this particular case, I can't do anything about the server to stop the infectious waste there (where it damn well should be, grrrr...)

Before I go out and buy another Mac solely for email use, does anyone know of any other free anti-virus software that does delete silently, or what I could be doing wrong with Avast?

woodyear99

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 04:54:08 AM »
What is the General Answer, Yes and No answering to?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:59:59 AM »
What is the General Answer, Yes and No answering to?

With answer Yes (OK). All avast! questions that would be displayed on the screen under common circumstances, will be replied Yes. If the selected action is choose action after all, pressing the OK button will be simulated.
With answer No (Cancel). All avast! questions that would be displayed on the screen under common circumstances, will be replied No. If the selected action is choose action after all, pressing the Delete button will be simulated (i.e. the infected file will be deleted).

This is on avast! help file...