Author Topic: App Locking  (Read 10476 times)

baugmo

App Locking
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
I'm not having any luck with app locking. It just doesn't do anything. The UI works, but selected apps are not locked. Using Android 2.3.6 non-rooted, free Avast (only tried to lock 1 or 2 apps). I tried setting it and shutting down and restarting the phone, but still no luck. It's only a test in that if app locking works on my phone I'll buy the paid version. Thanks for any help.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: App Locking
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Hi,

try setting up a different password in App Locking settings (for example a text or gesture password), then turn the display off and on and try accessing the locked app.

Filip

baugmo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
Thanks Filip. It was worth a try but had no effect.

So I guess the app locking is working for everyone else then?

Irrelevant for me now. I tried and really like a separate app locking program and plan to stick with it regardless (bought Avast premium anyway). More importantly I am completely unrelatedly and somewhat unexpectedly getting a new and different phone tomorrow. 

:-\

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »
Might work on the new one then.

The bad thing is that everyone is changing their ROMs how they want, it's hard to develop something that actually works on all devices :-( Let me know if it works on the new phone and if not, we'll look into it together if you are interested.

Filip

baugmo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
Since I had already found another full featured app locker that I really like, I didn't plan to use the simpler Avast one. Just out of curiosity I tried it on my new phone. I'm impressed so I'll be using it after all. I'll miss a fancy feature or two but Avast is already running so no additional notification icon or additional running program. It is simple but in a smart way, and I think most people would be happier with it. The vast majority, I suspect.

Youse Avast people really do good work.

A tiny bit of lint: The Avast app locker does not support a gesture password, but refers to a "pattern" as a "gesture". (Gesture passwords suck anyway. Just sayin'.)

See? That's the kind of person who is complementing you. So it's a big deal.  ;D

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
Glad you like it :)

Filip

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
I tried using App Locking for the first time the other day and it only worked once. I.e. I set a 4 digit pass lock on an app, and then clicked on the app and it asked for the pass code. But, then every other time i opened the same app no pass code was requested.

Anyone else found this?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

baugmo

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
That's one of the things I like about it. When you unlock one of the locked apps, all apps are unlocked until you turn the screen off. Or so it seems. I guess there might be a timer, but if so I haven't run it out yet. They've definitely always been locked when I turn the screen back on. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
Yeah, that's exactly how it should behave right now. Cause if you know the password once, you now it again 2 minutes later, right? So why insert it again and again.

And yes, it's until the screen is turned off.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 03:10:44 AM »
Still having problems. Not working for all apps but works for some. Important that it doesn't work for my banking app. On a non rooted verizon note 4