Author Topic: HELP!!  (Read 4469 times)

dgky

HELP!!
« on: May 03, 2005, 01:56:29 AM »
help! i just upgraded avast to version 4.6.652. and i upgraded zonealram to version 5.5.094.000 and now i am having alot of problems.

1) zonealarm doesn't show in m sys tray at startup. instead, this folder C:\Program Files\Zone.com opens. i tried to use msconfig but this folder doesn't show.

2) i cannot log onto msn messenger. avast popped up saying it was not compatible with zonealarm, so i followed the instructions and configured IE. now i cannot log onto msn messenger!

pls pls help..

dgky

Re: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:01:42 AM »
ok, i just reinstalled msn messenger and it is fine.. dunno what happened there. but still have a problem with zonealaram. anyone know how to help?

whocares

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:05:38 PM »
Hi,

have you tried uninstalling & reinstaling ZoneAlarm ?
Look at their FAQ/Website for instructions on CORRECT procedure..

If this doesn't help, you might want to post a hijackthis-Log here for diagnosis
(link:  http://tomcoyote.org/hjt )
 ;)

kamulko

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »
Whocares, is very impressive the long list of problems with ZA with our Avast! ... I see in my workplace there are many misfunctions with the Sophos ( :P)  and ZA. We can write a big book on this argument  ;D

whocares

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:39:54 PM »
Whocares, is very impressive the long list of problems with ZA with our Avast! ..

Hi Kamulko,

ZA is a problem in itself ..!  ;D ;D

to be fair, some use it without problems, and ["falseSenseOfSecurity"-FlameOff] it's better than nothing for inexperienced users [/FlameOff]

I use Kerio 2.1.5. (though I don't really need it ;D ;D ;) ), but would also recommend Sygate or Outpost )

kamulko

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:46:08 PM »
Yes, now I'm tryng Sygate. Outpost is good and complete but I find too complicate to tune it 'cause there are many shields like the protection of Avast! WebShield, Firefox plugins, SpyBot S&D, Microsoft AS Beta and Spyware Blaster (all I have on my pc and run together fairy, thanks God!!!), I don't say Outpost is not good (I think probably is the best!): simply, my pc configuration is well tested by a long time and I don't want modify it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:48:49 PM by Kamulko! »

niko

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Hi Kamulko,
I'm using Sygate pro for a long time now without any problem.
No conflict with sp2 and Avast! 8)

MFB

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 11:15:33 PM »
I'm using ZoneAlarm and Avast together and there is no conflict so far, that because I don't touch the Program control  ;D. You can try Kerio or Sygate but if your a newbie to firewall configurations.  I recommend keeping ZoneAlarm to prevent confusion.