Author Topic: excluding "exe´s"-> speeds up system?  (Read 3997 times)

REDACTED

excluding "exe´s"-> speeds up system?
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
Hy there!

Next question from me, myself and I ;)

The "exclude" option is not just for directories - it is also meant to exclude save prozesses from being scanned all the time......
So does it make sense to exclude e.g. DVD software or game executables to speed up them while loading?!
And if so, how do I ensure that their directory stays watched ( map auto download ) but not the programm itself?
Simply add the exe and thats it?! Should it be that easy?! ;)

Thx for reply as always and thanks for Avast...
Greets
S@uDepp

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: excluding "exe´s"-> speeds up system?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 02:06:05 PM »
Why exclude potentially dangerous file types? It's not that big difference anyway...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »
Wasn´t meant to exclude filetypes!
But there is no sense in scanning ALL files all the time - once a computergame is installed it won´t be a thread in future so it should be excluded... but it costs - not much - performance to scan it everytime its loading.....
Same with playing DVD´s - they, and the softwareplayer too, could be excluded......

Just my thoughts
S@uDepp

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 02:23:52 PM »
You have to exercise extreme care here otherwise you could exclude *.exe globally and you would be extremely vulnerable.

See image for an example of my exclusions, I have used a wild card *.pqi (2GB disk images) but I have used it within a folder. So the same is more important with something like *.exe you have to do more to limit the wild card, e.g. use it within a folder.

This will not however, speed up your system as exclusions aren't considered by the resident scanner. So if you open (loading/runing the program, etc.) the exe that is excluded from the on-demand scan, it will still be scanned by the resident scanner, as is also the case for scanning created/modified exe files. The time saving on this is minimal anyway.

You could have avast ignore a specific program, so that avast doesn't scan it actions, rather than scan its exe file. This may speed up processing.

Check out this thread for lots of options you can set through the avast.ini file. Understanding avast4.ini file
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 02:26:14 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 02:35:21 PM »
You have to exercise extreme care here otherwise you could exclude *.exe globally and you would be extremely vulnerable.

Sure! As mentioned above, noone not even me ;) should exclude the most dangerous filetypes!

See image for an example of my exclusions, I have used a wild card *.pqi (2GB disk images) but I have used it within a folder. So the same is more important with something like *.exe you have to do more to limit the wild card, e.g. use it within a folder.
Sure - to specify at least(!) a folder - as well.... But where´s the benifit in excluding images? They aren´t scanned at all as long U don´t backup?!

This will not however, speed up your system as exclusions aren't considered by the resident scanner. So if you open (loading/runing the program, etc.) the exe that is excluded from the on-demand scan, it will still be scanned by the resident scanner, as is also the case for scanning created/modified exe files. The time saving on this is minimal anyway.

You could have avast ignore a specific program, so that avast doesn't scan it actions, rather than scan its exe file. This may speed up processing.

Check out this thread for lots of options you can set through the avast.ini file. Understanding avast4.ini file

That was what I wanted to hear ;)  I´m on teh move to that thread!

THX & GREETS
S@uDepp

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »
But where´s the benifit in excluding images? They aren´t scanned at all as long U don´t backup?!
They are not graphic images as I said "disk images (back-ups)" 2GB in size, the pqi files would be scanned (as text files for unknown file type) and 2GB would take some considerable time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 12:48:10 AM »
....U still think I mentioned PICTURES??? To backup from?! ;)

Greets
S@uDepp