Author Topic: PC shuts down when running avast scanner  (Read 4007 times)

teamaker

PC shuts down when running avast scanner
« on: May 08, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »
I have tried to find a post relating to this problem but had no joy. So sorry in advance if I am repeating an existing problem.

I left my PC to do a thorough scan with archive files and on my return some 30 minutes later (lots of files on C:) the machine was off!. I decided to (to my boredom) watch the scan, when it did it again there was no error but I took note of the folder it was scanning at the time.

I then decided to scan this folder by itself and had no problems. So I am wondering if this a hardware problem. If it is down to overheating then it doesn't explain that I can run a DVD rendering program for 2 hours without a problem.

Regards

TeaMaker

I have also run avast scan in safe mode and the same problem occurs. The version of avast is Avast Home edition Build April 2005 4.6.652

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: PC shuts down when running avast scanner
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 01:25:06 PM »
Would it be possible that it's actually not the folder you noted (i.e. the last folder you saw in the progress box), but rather the next one? The progress display is not updated immediatelly (in 1 second interval maybe). I'd suggest to check a few folders that may follow the "last" one.
What operating system do you use? If it's Windows NT/2000/XP, the files/folders should be enumerated alphabetically.

Also, make sure you use the same sensitivity (quick/standard/thorough scan, setting of "archives") when checking for the "bad" folder, as you used in the full scan.

Thanks.

teamaker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 02:42:49 PM »
I am running windows 2000 , I understand what you are suggesting so I will do that next, the scan type I chose on the folder I thought was the problem was the same as the complete scan.

I will come back with the outcome, thanks for the reply

Regards

TeaMaker

teamaker

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:00:56 PM »
Looks like its not that either - scanned the next folder on and it is OK. Would it have anything to do with the fact that the files before these folders are not over a gig but the files in these folders are?.

Regards

TeaMaker

teamaker

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:53:55 PM »
Ignore this post , it does look like the PC is overheating , I have just started a DVD rendering process - left it to continue came back and the PC is off.  :o

Looks like I need a cooling solution!  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 04:52:03 PM »
It does look like the PC is overheating
Yeah, thanks God you have an 'intelligent' motherboard that shutdown the computer on this situation.
For me it happened only once, when the fan broked  :P
The best things in life are free.