Author Topic: Avast Home: System freeze on W98 with Calypso email reader  (Read 3622 times)

jmdelatre

Avast Home: System freeze on W98 with Calypso email reader
« on: September 29, 2003, 09:43:04 PM »
Hi,

I am a user of avast Home on WXP for months now, and I am very happy with it.
So happy that I decided to install it on my sister's PC, which is a W98, with ZoneAlarm 3.1.291 and Calypso 3.3 (free email client).
I installed the latest version of avast : 4.1.268. Then I tested the effectiveness of avast settings by using the "Test Virus Sender" service of www.declude.com. This latter sends the usual eicar.com test file.
The virus was properly caught upon reception (after having modified avast4.ini of course), now if I say "Continue" instead of "Delete", the virus file is kept in the message as expected BUT ...
when I subsequently try to open the attachement of the mail (ie. eicar.com), all the system freezes almost 3 out of 4 times, and this before the warning window of avast appears on the screen!
I don't understand neither why it freezes, nor why it is not 100% of time.
A last notice: I figured out that if I forcibly kill Calypso, the system gets back to life, and I finally see the avast warning window!

Any clue?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Marc

Culpeper

Re:Avast Home: System freeze on W98 with Calypso email reader
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 06:10:12 AM »
I wish I had a solution.  I used Avast, Calypso, and W98 for some time now with no problems.  Have you found a solution yet for this?

trigger

Re:Avast Home: System freeze on W98 with Calypso email reader
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 07:21:20 AM »
No so long ago there was another thread on Calypso: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1333

Peter