Author Topic: REMOTE ASSISTANCE  (Read 15814 times)

Offline Bassmaster

REMOTE ASSISTANCE
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
Is anyone else experiencing sproradic issues using the Avast remote control feature with the latest version 8?  Sometimes users can select the "Allow Remote Control feature and are provided with the access code, other times they will get the following error:  Connecting to host: rh.ara.avast.com A local error occurred:  Unable to connect to the Remote Assistance Server!  Session has been terminated with an error."   Any ideas?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: REMOTE ASSISTANCE
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
Is this end user or Business clients? The business clients shouldn't have the remote assistance feature? My impression it was in the beta release but not in the final v8 release
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Yes this is the Business version 8.01490.  The previous version 7 did not include it.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:13:35 AM »
Yes this is the Business version 8.01490.  The previous version 7 did not include it.

The v8 had it pulled after the beta im almost certain, but im seeing it on my clients too with the same error. Very Strange.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
that's a server side message. It should appear only when the servers are unreachable or over-loaded.
Does it happen every time or just once in a week?

thank you
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
It does not happen everytime, but unfortunately seems to happen when we really need to use it.  We usually use windows remote assistance in Windows 7.  But if a user is having issues with outlook they cannot email the remote assistance invitation to me, so the Avast Remote Assistance comes in very handy at that point.  I just wish it would connect consistantly.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:03 PM »
I'm really confused now. I'm running Endpoint Protection Suite, Business Protection. w/Client ver. 8.0

I go to the client, select Remote Assistance and I get the same error message as described in the opening of this chain. I emailed support and this is what I got.

"For business products only "Control Remote Computer" is available, the option to "Allow Remote Control" is not a feature that's available unfortunately. The reason it's in the user interface is because it wasn't removed from the consumer product yet. I will be updated in the next version but for all EP products you can only connect by "Control Remote Computer" which is when that person provides the code to their computer and then you can connect."

I'm expecting this to work the same way as Team Viewer in that you get a code from the server, that code is entered in to initiate the connection. I get that part. I am running the business class version.

SO is this working or not? I'm thinking that Avast support is confused too.

Offline Bassmaster

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
yes, its supposed to function very much like team viewer and when both sides work that's pretty much how it is.  Its makes no sense if support says only "Control Remote Computer" works, you need the access code to enter in there.  I just checked mine and got the access code, so its working at the time of this typing, but may give that error again in another hour or so.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
Got a blurry clarification back from Support. They again reiterated that "Allow Remote Control" is NOT working and the plan is to remove it from the client as an option. A security flaw was found and so was disabled to prevent complications. They did say that "Control Remote Computer" does work. Got screen shots and the like showing that "Allow....." is X'ed out. But they never said anything about getting a code. I had to reply for that answer (still waiting for a response). Pulling a code out of thin air apparently is not the answer. I didn't really expect it to.

I was expecting a firewall configuration needed tweaking as an answer from Support to make the connection work. I just don't understand how this will work without stage one of the component of getting a connection code for both machines to talk to one another.

I'm thinking that this remote control is for Avast support only. Not for users to connect like TeamViewer works.

I'd say intermittent connection for Bassmaster is doing pretty well.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
YEAH!!! Got it working! Had to open a couple of ports on our firewall. :D No more error messages. Have not experienced intermittent connectivity. So far it has worked everytime.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
I am having the same problem. When I click Remote Assistance and Allow Remote Control I get the following error message:

Connecting to host: rh.ara.avast.com
A local error occurred: Unable to connect to the Remote Assistance server!
Session has terminated with an error.

Has the Avast Remote Assistance server been down the past few days? We are using Avast Endpoint Protection on our clients in Small Office Administration (SOA) mode.

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
coreilly, were you able to find a resolution?  We're experiencing the same issue:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166028.0

Interestingly, the Remote Assistance in the Free version of Avast works, but when we install EPS, it fails with the same error you had.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Hello,

This was not your fault and you can't do anything. There is a bug that avast has been awared. I shared the answer in the following I received from avast. They knew but they don't mind to waste their sources to solve and announce an update.

Our developers are aware of the issue but there has been no move or resolution due to the new business product. The problem occurs in that you would have to do a new program update to resolve the issue since it's crashing with old. dll's and this product is not planned for any updates from what I've heard.

All resources and development have been used on the new cloud product. I've spoken to QA about this issue and they have yet to come up with a solution. I will of course push them again but to be honest there is only a little that I can do when it comes to product functinonlity in regards to the development team but I will keep you posted.

Regards

Che Johnson

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 06:09:46 PM »
I have a customer that is getting the same error:

Connecting to host: rh.ara.avast.com
A local error occurred: Unable to connect to the Remote Assistance server!

Avast! Endpoint Protection Plus
V.8.0.1603

What's the point of offering remote assistance feature if when it breaks, you've no plans to fix it!  With this kind of approach, I can't recommend the product to future business customers.  The protection offered by Avast! is average, the Remote Assistance feature was a deciding factor in choosing Avast! over other products.